• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starboy

Anyone give some statistics help/advice to my girlfriend?

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, Any stats experts round here? My girlfriend is doing her final project for her degree and stats isn''t her strongpoint - and it certainly isn''t mine If anyone could give some help it would be greatly appreciated...(please bear in mind we''re not stat-savvy so make it easy to understand). I''ll pass her over now to ask what she wants to know: Hello there! sorry, this stuff totally eludes me...i know my coefficient is 0.420 but how do i know if it''s statistically significant? i thought i had to compare the test score (t=1.308) with the crit value (.05, 1-tailed = 1.860) and if this crit value was equal or less than t it was significant. but i''ve been reading somewhere else and it says i have to compare my coefficient to a crit value table of coefficients to find out if it is stat. sig...also, what do i do with the p(1-tailed) number of 0.114.and what does it mean?? i''m so confused with all this, my head''s all mashed up please help! TEST SCORES Subject Number Phoneme Segmentation Reading 1 7 18 2 4 9 3 4 6 4 3 24 5 4 14 6 7 39 7 12 20 8 5 18 9 4 13 10 4 10 Results of Spearman''s rank order correlation rs (corrected for ties) 0.420 Number of data pairs 10 Number of tied X ranks 2 Number of tied Y ranks 1 Degrees of freedom 8 t 1.308 p(1-tailed) 0.114 p(2-tailed) 0.227 tcrit (.05, 1-tailed) 1.860 tcrit (.01, 1-tailed) 2.896 tcrit (.05, 2-tailed) 2.306 tcrit (.01, 2-tailed) 3.355

Advertisement
Or reading the forum rules? We can't give answers to homework, but I can still give advice. T two-tail is what determines statistical difference unless you're looking specifically at the probability that A is greater than B (instead of A!=B). The t-one/two tail must reflect that the two groups are AT LEAST two standard deviations apart. If that doesn't clear it up for your GF, I'm not sure why she's taking statistics or why the teacher is such a failure.

[edited by - uber_n00b on June 6, 2004 1:02:11 PM]

quote:
Original post by nick5454
try a tutor or hell even your textbook

[edited by - nick5454 on June 6, 2004 11:16:28 AM]

Thanks for the pathetic reply.

quote:
Original post by Starboy
Thanks for the pathetic reply.

What did you expect? There isn''t a lot of use for statistics in game programming.

quote:

What did you expect? There isn''t a lot of use for statistics in game programming.

wait.. wait... WHAT????

you should really really double check that

By statistics I believe JohnBolton meant stuff like t values and F-crit or sum of squares or any of that other bellcurve-related stuff. You can't really say a lot of things have nothing to do with games, but you can say a lot of a lot of things have nothing to do with programming games.

[edited by - uber_n00b on June 7, 2004 1:37:54 AM]

Look, I posted this in the Lounge and someone suggested I try the Maths forum. Whilst I didn''t have any expectations about getting a little help, I also didn''t expect needless responses like some of the above.

No matter now, I''ve found what I needed.

--------------------------------------------
Try Mani Golf

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!