• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uutee

Adventure games

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, When I was a little boy, I started coding by writing simple text adventure games. They were all based on "hard-coding", where there were global boolean variables like "shotgun picked up". Then the later game logic could use these boolean variables to sort out what would happen, possibly modifying other global boolean variables during the process. But nowadays, when I''m thinking about the way "real" graphical adventure games work, it all seems like a great mystery! Clearly they can''t be based on hard-coding, right? But still, I can''t come up with a general enough "engine" for handling all adventure events. Well, trivially, the player could have an inventory, plus a "knowledge base" (which could include facts like "talked to Big Jim, obtained useful information"). Then the game logic could be based on these, inventory items could be used on game objects and so on. So I guess my original question would be: how to best avoid "hard-coding" when implementing an adventure game? What would be a general-enough (possibly object oriented) design which would also have plenty of room for "exceptional game events"? - Mikko

Advertisement
The truth is that these things are usually "hard-coded" in a way. You just have to separate the engine and content part.

Most people use a scripting language for the content part to make their task easier. Adventures games were the first games to implement scripting systems for just that reason.

Take a look around the Brass Lantern site - especially the writers section.

It''s biased towards text adventures, but the basic implentation will be similar for both text and graphical versions.

The community section also contains a collection of useful links.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!