Math program

Started by
2 comments, last by Spintwo 19 years, 10 months ago
I remember seeing some people discussing mathematics programs here. I remember that it was said to be very good and a free download. Perhaps mathematica? could someone steer me in the right direction? Charles Hwang -aka oatmeal.net [Maxedge My Site(UC)|E-mail|NeXe|NeHe|SDL] [Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]
Advertisement
It''s not Mathematica, their site offers a free 15-day trial, but you have to pay for the software.

The only good and free math program I know of is Octave, which is GPLed freeware. It''s supposedly almost source-compatible with Matlab (I''ve never used Matlab, so I wouldn''t know).

I liked Octave when I used it. It''s good for a lot of things, but getting it to plot curves and stuff seemed to take jumping through a lot of hoops...

-Auron
has anyone used both maxima and octave and can comment on which one is "better"?
Another good free one (there is a free license available, and a commercial version also) is Mupad.
It does lots of nice stuff, with symbolic calculations and a good (and pretty easy to use) curve and surface plotting library among other things.
I''ve not used Octave though so I can''t compare it to that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement