• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michael_c_wood

Where to start

This topic is 5223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Ive just searched the internet for game programming and found your site. i have just finished university doing a degree in software engineering. ive got myself a job as a games tester for codemasters but am interested in the programmung side. i was just wondering if you could give me some good places or books to start out on, or give me a clue as to what programs to use. I have seen people making scenes for games like tomb radier and that is the sort of thing i want to learn to do. i also want to do the programming to make people move etc. can this be done in the same program as the scene. if not what do i need. ant information will be much appreciated. cheers woodie

Advertisement
If you've got a degree in software engineering I guess I can assume you are a competant programmer. If you want to make stuff like tomb raider you're gonna need to learn a 3D API, OpenGL and Direct3D are the two you will want to look at (for the windows platform anyway). These APIs are used as a interface for the features provided by your graphics hardware, but before you can start writing 3D games you'll have to learn the principles and mathematics behind 3D graphics. Take a look at the GameDev graphics programming book section for some books you may want to buy. Of course there's far more than just graphics in a modern game, you need info on topics such as AI and Physics, though you probably don't want ot worry about them too much when you're just starting out.

quote:
I have seen people making scenes for games like tomb radier and that is the sort of thing i want to learn to do. i also want to do the programming to make people move etc. can this be done in the same program as the scene. if not what do i need.

If by making scenes you mean levels or maps then they'll have just been using some form of level editor, this is basically just a tool to make the geometry that makes up a level and that put in various object (such as enemies). Level editors aren't used for the programming of games (well they may contain an editor for game scripts but they're not used for the actual game engine code).

[edited by - Monder on June 6, 2004 11:25:30 AM]

I agree with the ^ post, also you should get yourself a book and you''ll probably know how ''cool'' it is to program games... :b, anyways you shouldn''t have problems since you are a software engineer.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!