• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Drake

Models & Items (MS3D probably)

This topic is 5223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am useing the MS3D for my modeling and I wroute a plugin that exports the model with bones out in my file format. I was trying to assemble my work and I am cind of stuck with adding objects in to characers hads. In another words - Lets say i hawe a sword and i want to put it in my character's hand. So how do I know where the hand is ? (noth my the model's ) Is sombody is fermiliar with MS3D (MilkShape 3D) then is it posiball to write a plugin that coud make a custom object (not vertex or mesh) that coud mark a hand or somthing ? or is this even the way to do this? I was thinking about makeing weapon move when the Arm bone moves buth it's unpractical becouse I want to make an engine that coud use diferent bones (not a template skeleton). P.S. I know, I know - I shoud get flamed becouse of my gramatical errors EDIT : "So how do I know where the hand is ?" - you get it - Add "(noth my the model's )" [edited by - Red Drake on June 6, 2004 12:51:18 PM]

Advertisement
I thought MS3D had an option to add a "dummy" into the mesh? Basically it''s an empty named part of the mesh that you could search for when parsing the file, and use that as your point of reference.

I''m not familiar enough with MS3D to know how to do it myself, though I''m certain that it probably has this functionality.

quote:
Original post by Etnu
I thought MS3D had an option to add a "dummy" into the mesh? Basically it''s an empty named part of the mesh that you could search for when parsing the file, and use that as your point of reference.

I''m not familiar enough with MS3D to know how to do it myself, though I''m certain that it probably has this functionality.

Thank''s.
Now I am about read up on DUMMY objects (i hawe met this before in 3DS file buth I didn''t know what are these)
Any articles, a place to start or an breaf explenation of dummy objects ?

Well, I used the term "dummy", but I''m sure they refer to it as something different within ms3d.

Basically, you''d want to add a named object (i''m sure ms3d handles named objects, right?) to your mesh, and just make it a degenerate triangle or something that the program won''t automatically delete. Use that as your reference point when loading your mesh.

I''d ask someone who was more familiar with the terminology.

quote:
Original post by Etnu
Well, I used the term "dummy", but I''m sure they refer to it as something different within ms3d.

Basically, you''d want to add a named object (i''m sure ms3d handles named objects, right?) to your mesh, and just make it a degenerate triangle or something that the program won''t automatically delete. Use that as your reference point when loading your mesh.

I''d ask someone who was more familiar with the terminology.

I think I figured somthing out
I''ll make a box plugin
I will inport a box as an object and name it with keyword wich my exporter won''t export as vertex buth as misc - modifier.
The box will soround the wanted peace of body.
In game the box will not be renderd.
I will also inplement similar modifier so I can do the coallision detection based on box intersection.
Do you think this is OK or wrong ?
Thanks for your response.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!