• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eccentrix

Vertex Arrays / Quake 2

This topic is 5220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I read a lot of articles and posts saying that vertex arrays are faster than the regular method in opengl. However, I was testing the console commands gl_vertex_arrays and gl_ext_compiled_vertex_array in Quake 2, and gl_ext_compiled_vertex_array made no speed difference, while gl_vertex_arrays actually made it run slower! Does anyone have anything to say about this? I have an Athlon XP 1700+ and a Radeon 8500 with 512 RAM in Windows XP Pro.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Eccentrix
I read a lot of articles and posts saying that vertex arrays are faster than the regular method in opengl.

What ''regular method''? If you''re meaning Immediate mode (glBegin/End) then yes they should be somewhat faster, assuming you''re not rendering in tiny chunks.

quote:
while gl_vertex_arrays actually made it run slower!

Slower than what? On its own that means nothing.

Also, bear in mind that you could still be fill limited in which case tinkering with various ways of submitting geometry may have no visible difference.

Yes, I meant immediate mode.

I meant that setting gl_vertex_arrays to 1 (enabled) yielded slower performance (about 5%) than setting gl_vertex_arrays to 0 (which should be immediate mode).

Fill rate may be the bottleneck. I''m not sure.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!