• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrcSlayer

I'm looking for a book about the theory about 3D

This topic is 5219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I mean, how 3D works, how to make a 3D engine, without using any library (DX,OGL) is there any good book about it?

Advertisement
A 3D engine that doesn''t use OGL or DirectX?! You want everything done in software? Waste of time. You will have 0 performance. Doing a basic software 3D renderer is only good for learning.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

I think he means he wants to understand the underlying concepts.

I''d recommend "Computer Graphics: Mathematical First Steps". I can''t remember the author''s name, but it should be easily available. It explains everything from matrix math to rasterization.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Computer Graphics - Principles and practice by Foley et. al. teaches everything you need to know in order to reimplement something like OpenGL in software.

If you want a book specifically related to game programming, you can also try Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus 2. The only part of DirectX it uses is DirectDraw, to be able to draw single pixels efficiently, and even that is wrapped into a library for you to call. This book is not as "theoretical" at the others though, so if you're interested mostly in theory it might not be useful.

[edited by - Matei on June 6, 2004 3:11:54 PM]

bah, with these programmable GPUs, why not just start at shaders?

You''re going to need to learn how a vert gets transformed and lit, if u want to see it on the screen using VS/PS.

You shouldn''t start at shaders because if you don''t know how things are working in the background, you''ll have a much harder time doing things properly.

Also, knowing how to write a software rasteriser will be useful when writing some sort of occlusion system ( if using a system similar to Yanns ).

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.

If you want to learn just the math for 3D
then I recommend:

Math Primer For Graphics And Game Development

is a good book im working through it right now.
It covers matrices vectors and lots of other stuff.

[edited by - wannabe 1337 on June 6, 2004 8:01:20 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!