• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Napalm

which is the best skill of the server to process the messages?

This topic is 5220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am creating a server for my MMORPG and am with a doubt that is intriguing me, which is the best skill of the server to process the messages for the customer? 1)Stack of msgs 2)Use threads 3)Direct Process 4)other

Advertisement
Hello Napalm,

What OS is the server going to run on and what type of system.
What protocal are you using for your messages?

On a real good multiprocessor OS threads are the way to go.
I know for a fact Solars is one of the best for this.
I have also heard Window Server 2000 is very good to.

If its only going to run on a single processor system.
Then threads lose most of there real power expect in the fact that for they offer more compact/simpler/logical design.

Example handle connection one thread, geting msgs in another, sending data in other thread, and processing (game state calulation) in another, etc.

We use one thread for connection, one each for send and revc msgs. for most of our servers that use one port.

If we can get alot of data form many ports we use multi connection threads and then one send and one revc thread which dose polls to find out when to read or can send.

In both setups we use que (FIFO) for main processing.

That just some tips.

Lord Bart

Yeah I agree, just queue the removed messages, remember to be careful about shared data between threads though.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!