VC++ Toolkit 2003 + VStudio IDE

Started by
2 comments, last by dizzydog 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I currently own copies of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard, amd Visual C# .NET 2003 Standard, including the MSDN library and Visual Studio Prerequisite discs. I''ve also recently downloaded the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 that Microsoft has made available. Is there a way to use the Visual Studio IDE with the VC++ Toolkit? I know I could use Visual Studio like a big text editor and compile in another window using the command line tools, but thought it would be nice if I could get Studio to do syntax highlighting and run the compile/linking steps at least. Would hate to have both halves, and still have to pay $90+ just to make "go together" motions. Thanks for any help
Advertisement
I have the same problem with the C# toolkit and VC++ .net standard

why don''t we swap (just kidding mods)
I love me and you love you.
Just replacing cl.exe and link.exe in VS.NET''s bin directory with those from the toolkit should get you most of the way. You might need to add some additional command line arguments to the build in order to enable optimizations, but that''s a piece of cake.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Just replacing cl.exe and link.exe in VS.NET''s bin directory with those from the toolkit should get you most of the way. You might need to add some additional command line arguments to the build in order to enable optimizations, but that''s a piece of cake.

Well, the big problem is, as stated above, I only have VC# and VB, not the VC++ component of VS.NET. There is a Vc7 directory inside of the VS.NET directory, but I don''t have the option to start a VC++ project, opening a .cpp or .c directly has no highlighting, etc. It basically ignores anything not C# or VB related. If it boils down to the Toolkit not coming with enough support files to integrate with the IDE, I''ll suck it up and buy the VC++.NET stuff as I''d rather have the experience with dev under VS.NET then take an alternative path at the moment. Thanks for the replies

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement