ps3.0/NV40 release?

Started by
3 comments, last by duhroach 19 years, 10 months ago
I''ve been reading up on the specs for NVidia''s new 6800, which launches the NV40 shader system (ie ps3.0). I''ve been finding alot of people talking about ps3.0 techniques already though, as if there''s already cards that support that system. I was under the assumption thatthe 6800 was the first? Plus, i haven''t seen that many ps3.0 demo''s out yet, so has the systems been released (even in an emulator mode?) Or is there just alot of industry talk, where as the actual chips haven''t hit the market yet? ~Main == Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis Programmer www.badheat.com/sinewave
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com
Advertisement
ps3.0 can be used with REFRAST.

Personally, I don''t have the cash to plop into the 6800 (though it''s definitely got a nice performance boost, aside from the ps3.0 support), and I don''t see any REAL advantage to ps3.0 yet that could actually be implemented in real time. I suppose we''ll see when the cards actually come out...and I''m positive nvidia will release demos that take advantage of it, considering that ps3.0 is a big selling point vs. the Radeon x800

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

The one thing i'm looking forward to in the ps3.0 is the branching allowance for the pixel shaders. That's just going to skyrocket programmer abilities for it.

So it is supported through software rasterization in dx9?

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave

[edited by - duhroach on June 6, 2004 3:40:11 PM]
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com
quote:
The one thing i''m looking forward to in the ps3.0 is the branching allowance for the pixel shaders. That''s just going to skyrocket programmer abilities for it.

Do you want it to be able to run in realtime, or not? It''s certainly nice that we''ll have that capability, but even as powerful as the new cards are...you''ll still have a lot of overhead with a lot of branching. Current hardware chugs under current pixel shaders. I''d be happier seeing an improvement to the execution speed first, and then worrying about new features.

REFRAST is basically a maxed out video card. It can do more or less anything that DX9 supports. Look at the caps viewer

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

quote:The one thing i''m looking forward to in the ps3.0 is the branching allowance for the pixel shaders. That''s just going to skyrocket programmer abilities for it.

having texture samplers in VShaders is quite nice too...
and branching is great from a programming/abstraction point ov view, but might not be that good (yet?) performance-wise.
I''d be interested to see some tech benches about that, if the overhead is really big or not on the 6800...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement