• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark_Guy

Bezier curves

This topic is 5277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a task to connect two bezier curves. What are bezier curves? Where can I find theory on bezier curves, and how do I connect them ? Also, could someone point me to some examples (preferrably with source code) ?

Advertisement
The task is pretty poorly described. If you pick one end point from each curve and draw a line between them, then they will be connected, but that''s probably not what you want to do.

As for what are bezier curves, did Google have nothing...

karg

Google knows... and there is atleast one article about Bezier Curves here on gamedev.
"Connecting" the curves can be done in many ways, depends on how you want your resulting curve to look. And this looks like homework, so please do some work yourself.

*edit* I shouldn't *always* leave the reply window open for 20 minutes before I write something. */edit*

[edited by - Eternal on June 7, 2004 1:40:13 AM]

Bezier curves are known as implicit curves because you dont have any information about the curve itself. Instead you have a set of control points that you use to determine the shape of the curve.

If you are connecting two bezier curves there are three types of connectivity
C0
The curves are connected but it will probably end up looking wrong because the point where they connect wont be smooth

G0
This is better than C0, at least the point where the two curves meet is smooth but the curvature at the point where they meet may not match.

C1
The is the best type of connection because the whole thing looks like it is one smooth curve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, drown a man in the water and the fish will eat for a week!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!