• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartacus

The matematical constant e (2.718...)

This topic is 5276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone give me a explanation of the matematical constant e=2.7182...??? What''s so magical about it and why is it exactly 2.7182...??? If you know of some resources where I can get more information then that would be great too! Thanks!

Real programmers don''t document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/e.html

::shifty eyes:: you''re a non-believer aren''t you? e shows up nearly everywhere. e and ln (log base e) determine the halflife of an atom, how long it will take an object to cool to a certain temperature, etc (anything where the amount at a time is based on the rate of change of the amount). That is not nearly the limit of where it shows up but I am in a hurry so just go to the link given already. Wikipedia.com also has some good info on it but the site was down when I tried to get onto it this time.

pi > e

I''m sorry, it had to be done.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

I guess he wants to know exactly why e appears everywhere, rather than what it is. Precisely how he said it, why it''s so "magical"

You know skybin.. e has many other definitions. e can also be defined as the other boundary besides 1 under the graph of ln(x) such that the area under that curve is equal to 1. The second would be the sum of x/x! from 1 to infinity

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!