The matematical constant e (2.718...)

Started by
35 comments, last by Spartacus 19 years, 10 months ago
Can someone give me a explanation of the matematical constant e=2.7182...??? What''s so magical about it and why is it exactly 2.7182...??? If you know of some resources where I can get more information then that would be great too! Thanks!

Real programmers don''t document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

Advertisement
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/e.html
::shifty eyes:: you''re a non-believer aren''t you? e shows up nearly everywhere. e and ln (log base e) determine the halflife of an atom, how long it will take an object to cool to a certain temperature, etc (anything where the amount at a time is based on the rate of change of the amount). That is not nearly the limit of where it shows up but I am in a hurry so just go to the link given already. Wikipedia.com also has some good info on it but the site was down when I tried to get onto it this time.
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
pi > e

I''m sorry, it had to be done.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
PI >> e

I coudn''t resist either, even though it has nothing to do with OP.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
definiton of e?

e=(1+(1/x))^x where x starts at one and goes forever. use like a large nubmer for x. say...20. You''ll get an answer
the larger x is, more accurate e is.

Charles Hwang -aka oatmeal.net
[Maxedge My Site(UC)|E-mail|NeXe|NeHe|SDL]
[Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]
What do you not understand?

Charles Hwang -aka oatmeal.net
[Maxedge My Site(UC)|E-mail|NeXe|NeHe|SDL]
[Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]
I guess he wants to know exactly why e appears everywhere, rather than what it is. Precisely how he said it, why it''s so "magical"
You know skybin.. e has many other definitions. e can also be defined as the other boundary besides 1 under the graph of ln(x) such that the area under that curve is equal to 1. The second would be the sum of x/x! from 1 to infinity
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
Also, the derivative of e^x is..... e^x !!

that sounds pretty cool to me!
Working on a fully self-funded project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement