Is it better to "Stretch" a texture or have multiple quads?

Started by
1 comment, last by 3DXD 19 years, 10 months ago
Processor wise, if you have multiple quads in a row that have the same texture, is it better to make one large texture and have that texture set of coordinates "duplicate". So say it should have been 3 quads, instead have one quad and triplicate the max tu/tv. Is it better to have the 3 quads(all rendered at once) or instead to have one large quad with the max tu/tv to be duplicated 3 times(of course... i know you can have the "line" in the texture) but in my case you won''t see it due to what the texture looks like and it melts together just fine. I just wondered which is better. Thanks so much!!!! You guys and gals have been so supportive of my questions.
Advertisement
You could just use a so-called "seamless" texture, and make it tile.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Theoretically it is better to use a stretched/tiled texture over a single quad than one that has multiple quads because the multiple quads require more vertex data (more junk for the GPU to manage) and it has more polygons, hence more indices if you are using that solution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement