• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NumberXaero

GL_ARB_point_sprite

This topic is 5217 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When using this extension how do you make the sprites shrink properly as the viewer moves further away from the particle system? They should be getting smaller as i move away from the system currently they are getting bigger (or maintaining their size/screen space?) as I move away, I need them to act like quads would in the same situation. thx.

Advertisement
either point parameters (but you get an annoying max size) or scaling them yourself (pointsize) depending on distance (which might just be too much work to be fast)

quote:
Original post by Sunray
Has anybody got ARB_point_sprite to work with an ATI card?

dont try it. at least until the next driver version hopefully fixes them.

they only work with immediate mode.
trying to use them with arrays or vbo resulted in bad tex coords, if using additional streams (color etc.) it crashed the vpu (just in case you wonder why any graphics card would need something like vpu recover).
even when they work (in immediate) texturing will be screwed up (nothing to do about it so far).

so in short: forget them for ati for a few more weeks (the next drivers are supposed to fix them, but i wouldnt be surprised if the texture corruption is all they fix and the "not working with va/vbo and crashing" behaviour will still be around.. yes, im a pessimist)

quote:
Original post by Trienco
so in short: forget them for ati for a few more weeks (the next drivers are supposed to fix them, but i wouldnt be surprised if the texture corruption is all they fix and the "not working with va/vbo and crashing" behaviour will still be around.. yes, im a pessimist)

Anyone know if either of these issues mentioned were fixed in the new Catalyst driver release today? I''d check myself, but haven''t done anything with point sprites yet, so wouldn''t be able to tell still-known-issues from my own idiot mistakes Been waiting for issues to be fixed first.

the texture issue still exists, first thing i checked when I installed them, kinda disapointed coz i was told that should be fixed in this driver revision, i''ve emailed devrel and someone on the guru3d.com forum from ATI has passed it onto the OpenGL dev team, so i''ll see what comes of it.

I dont know about the VBO/VA issue and dont have any working code to test the issue out.

quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
the texture issue still exists, first thing i checked when I installed them, kinda disapointed coz i was told that should be fixed in this driver revision, i''ve emailed devrel and someone on the guru3d.com forum from ATI has passed it onto the OpenGL dev team, so i''ll see what comes of it.

*sigh* fine, so thats that. my first and last ati. how many driver versions have that been since they added point sprites? 5? 6? and so far they neither removed their completely broken ps support nor fixed a couple of bugs that are so obvious i still dont understand how they EVER could get past qa.

maybe if they spent less time with optimized/hidden brilinear filtering optimizations and competition bashing over the very same optimization.

well, lets have a look whats new in this driver release.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!