• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gashraf

anim question for Jim Adams

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been dissecting the code from Jim Adam''s Advanced Animation With DirectX and have a problem getting the animation to drive the skin correctly. I use Maya to model & animate a simple humanoid. I then use the X file exporter provided by Microsoft. So far so good. The exported Xfile loads & animates perfectly well in DirectX''s skinned mesh demo program. But when I load it with the example in chapter 5, the limb orientations are all screwed up... mind you, they do animate... but the humanoid goes all awry. To confirm I loaded an additional static ground mesh into a separate mesh variable... this loads and renders as expected. Interestingly, the tiny.x file works perfectly fine in Jim''s demo. I suspect it could be a bone setup oversight that is not dealt with in the book... why would the DirectX demo load my animation correctly and not the one in chapter 5 & 6? I really like the way Jim decouples meshes and animations... having done a phD on motion transition, I would very much like to get my hands dirty with motion in games. Can anyone kindly provide pointers about bone setup or additional code to rectify this problem? Cheers, Ashraf.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!