• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J_Tyh

SIMPLE 3d world --> load it in DirectX the easy way ?

This topic is 5218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. (I''m a total DirectX beginner) I looked here and there, but I couldn''t find any real tutorial for my needs, I don''t even know if it is possible in fact. I would like to create a SMALL 3-D world, a house for example, something definitely simple, low faces count, very simple (flat) texturing. Is there a way | a program that allows me to do that, _AND_ that could export this to a format _EASILY_ loadable with DirectX ? I''d rather spend time programming the "fun" stuff about DirectX, rather than on loading scripts, or converting 3D files... Any help, any program to point me towards to, any tutorial floating around ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Advertisement
Well, you could use the .X file format - DirectX''s own mesh format.

As for tools, there''s plenty. Blender, Wings3D, Milkshape...

Thank you superpig.

I looked at wings3D, I did not find any export to DirectX file.
So I looked at MilkShape, I loaded a sample skeleton, and then I: File-->Export-->DirectX (JT), I got world.x

Problem now is that the official MeshView does not load my world.x, and the sample program, in C# (I want to do this in C#):
C:\DXSDK\Samples\C#\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tutorial6\ does not accept my world.x either. So I guess I did something wrong in the export

[edited by - J_Tyh on June 7, 2004 8:33:17 AM]

[edited by - J_Tyh on June 7, 2004 8:47:49 AM]

What version of DX are you using? As far as I know, Milkshape3D only exports the DX8 format... I don't know if those are compatible with the other versions (ie DX 7/9).

Also, try making a simple figure (a box/sphere, not a skeleton) and export that. The skeleton is not going to be visible in DX, so it may give it problems...

[edited by - Sr_Guapo on June 7, 2004 2:06:25 PM]

I use DX9.

I had to look on the net for some models for MilkShape - I found a cross, so I can cont on working on the rest of my program, but sooner or later I''ll have to create my world.

Of course the cross I found is displayed correctly in MeshView.

Anyway, I managed to load and display correctly the cross in C#, heh, I''m happy

Guest Anonymous Poster
Most 3d modeling programs don''t export directly to the .x format. Try exporting them to 3ds, and then use Conv3ds.exe (it comes with the directx sdk) to convert them to .x files. And if you''re still looking for a free 3d modeler other then milkshape, try anim8or. (www.anim8or.com) Works pretty good for me

Milkshape works fine for me... I tried one of it''s .X exports (a geoshpere: file->export-> DirectX 8.0 - not JT) out in managed DX9, with no problems.

The problem with Milkshape is that there are so many options when exporting. It works, you just have to figure out which one. I think the DX8 mesh *should* work with DX9 but don''t take my word on it.

Oh, right. Get Milkshape. (go shareware!)

"Yes... VB6 is here to steal your minds fps. Very slowly."~Mushu
Call .optimize(you.sig)

Thanks all for your input, I''m still struggling to find a program that suits my needs...
- easy to use, fast, light
- can export to DX9

I tried anim8or, lol, I managed to have garbage on the screen after 1 min of use, after having loaded an object. And it does not export to DX9 anyway, or at least I did not find the option to.

MilkShape is hard to use and the faces creation is a pain, you missclick by 1 pixel and you have to reselect your 3 vertexes again - and sometimes the clicks don''t work.

Most program don''t export directly to a .x file. You must export it to a fairly common file (like .3DS), then convert that using another program (conv3ds.exe, available from M$). Milkshape is the only one I have used that can export directly to a DX file...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!