Lossy Vertex Compression

Started by
7 comments, last by Grizwald 19 years, 10 months ago
Ok, if I have a buffer of vertices, and I clamp all the values between 0.0 and 1.0 (or something similar) would it be possible for me to form a 2D array from the data (as close to perfectly square as possible) and then applying a jpeg-esqe lossy compression algo on it? If so, Is there a chance of severe vertex distortion? Or is there just a better way to do it all together? I could even export all the vertex data to raw file with dimensions sqrt(buffersize) x sqrt(buffersize) and then compress it with photoshop or something. But then i don''t know if I could decompress it properly in a vertex shader. I know i could create a CompressedVertexStream, and feed it to a jpeg decoder, but I''d rather perform all this in the GPU. Thanky!
I love me and you love you.
Advertisement
I doubt you can do it with jpeg or similar. The theory behind jpeg compression is to adjust pixels so that the image still looks enough like the original so that you don't notice. If you try to apply it to 3 dimensional data, youll probably get some wierd distortions when you decompress. Its an interesting idea, but you might have to tweak the algo to get it to work properly.

Edit: if you get it working, you could probably do something with a progressive scan and use different miplevels/detail levels easily.

[edited by - DukeAtreides076 on June 7, 2004 12:16:19 PM]
http://research.microsoft.com/~hhoppe/

Look under "Geometry images". Not the same thing and your idea would not really work (your edges wouldn't match due to compression artifacts), but very similar.

[edited by - GameCat on June 7, 2004 1:23:08 PM]
Yeah, I just realized that with jpeg. Plus i don''t think jpeg could be done in a shader quickly enough.
How good would the compression be on a qunatized vertex buffer using a huffman-like scheme? Is there a way to decode that in the shader fast enough?
How many vertices are you planning on having per ''vertex image''?
Instead of jpeg, I have another idea. Many vertices may use the same numbers in their coordinates. So how about:

identify all the floating point numbers used for x, y, and z, and put them in an array

replace each (x,y,z) floating point triple with 3 indices to the float array

To save more space, very similar numbers (within a threshold) can be fused into one number. (like .06 and .07 could both be replaced with .065) Numbers can also be encoded in 16-bit floating point, or in fixed point.

When it''s all over, this resulting structure can be losslessly compressed using a huffman coder (or whatever else you like).

I''m not sure if this can be done with shaders though. Does it have to happen in the GPU? Are you planning on sending many of these compressed vertex data to the GPU during runtime, or it is just a file format that you load once?
S1CA just answered a question similar to this one last weak. He gave an excellent answer that would surely help you. Try to find it.

MindEngine (C++) | E-Commerce Business Architecture (ASP.NET / C#)
I searched the forums a couple of times but nothing good came up
this prehaps

LizardCPP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement