• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mintfresh

How to program a basic car game

This topic is 5218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I would say I''m a fairly competent programmer, and have a good grasp of most programming concepts and C++. I want to make a fun 2D car game. I was wondering where i should start with regards to the code needed to make the car move in a realistic way. I don''t want to program a complex physics engine, I just want to make the car move in a way similar to car, but the main aim is to make it fun to drive. I imagine somthing similar to the way the car works in GTA 1 and 2. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I had to do some digging but I thought i had link to a car physics tut. I haven't used this but here it is http://home.planet.nl/~monstrous/tutcar.html.

Edit, someone beat me to it. lol.

[edited by - yspotua on June 7, 2004 12:45:56 PM]

Thanks for that page. I''ve had a quick look and am going to see what I can do. It looks a little bit complicated (physics isn''t my strong point) but it does explain it all pretty well.

If anyone has any more advice or info then let me know.

Thanks

Then you''ve picked the wrong subject - car games are all about physics - even top view car games. Unless you don''t mind them behaving very unrealistically.

quote:
Original post by Pxtl
Then you''ve picked the wrong subject - car games are all about physics - even top view car games. Unless you don''t mind them behaving very unrealistically.

Yea , right
GTA I & II - very realistic & full of physics - I hawe not seen somthing that unrealistic until GTA III arived (take a Tank for example - it''s inmnortal & you can see people shoting with a bzoka in city every day ). I think that the "unrealistic" parts of a game are the most fun (unles you are makeing a simulation).

P.S.
A yoke - don''t start flameing me

quote:
Original post by Red Drake
quote:
Original post by Pxtl

Yea , right
GTA I & II - very realistic & full of physics - I hawe not seen somthing that unrealistic until GTA III arived (take a Tank for example - it''s inmnortal & you can see people shoting with a bzoka in city every day ). I think that the "unrealistic" parts of a game are the most fun (unles you are makeing a simulation).

P.S.
A yoke - don''t start flameing me

Physics is important for all games.
Collision detection anyone???

only 10 types of people understand binary

Current Project: openGL 3D game (maybe breakout clone?)

Current Interests: Ice Hockey!

quote:
Original post by w3izard

That doesn''t really make sense.

The joke is:
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don''t"

quote:
Original post by Hedos
quote:
Original post by w3izard

That doesn't really make sense.

The joke is:
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"

ahh thats the one, i couldn't remember it properly.

thankyou for pointing that out, you have made the world a better place.

[edited by - w3izard on June 7, 2004 9:44:14 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!