2d game

Started by
5 comments, last by r0bbb 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi id like to create a pretty simple 2d strategy game. I have good java knowledge and decent c++ knowledge. I started learning opengl a while ago but had to stop due to coursework/work. im now getting back in to game programming but have realised opengl is not ideal for 2d, and java is gonna be a bit slow and hard to deploy. i was hoping you could suggest a better answer based on my knowledge. i know directx is probably the answer but i cant find any good 2d tutorials that are up to date, and dont use directdraw. thanks for any advice r0bbb
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1434.asp

Edit: the same concept probably applies to OpenGL too, just draw everything as quads in ortho mode.

[edited by - DukeAtreides076 on June 7, 2004 12:59:05 PM]
Using the ortho mode is definitely one way to go, but to be honest, it if it truly 100% 2D, then OpenGL may be overkill. I''d suggest sticking with SDL (www.LibSDL.org) which makes for rapid and easy game development.
-Todd"Windows dectected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot for the changes to take effect"
yer i definately though that it was a bit much, and funnily enough started looking into sdl, and so far im very impressed!

cheers for all your help guys
Yes SDL is incredible I used to use DirectDraw before I began using SDL the problem with SDL is there are not enough resources on it.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
quote:Original post by QzarBaron
Yes SDL is incredible I used to use DirectDraw before I began using SDL the problem with SDL is there are not enough resources on it.

There are tons of SDL resources. There is even a book on it by GameDevs own TANSTAAFL (Focus on SDL). The documentation that comes with SDL is very helpful by itself (although incomplete if I read correctly?) but if you need more, the official SDL site has links to loads of helper libraries and ongoing projects even though I have to admit that the most recent articles tend to lean more towards the use of SDL and OpenGL in ortho mode. But that being neither here nor there, I will end my rant just by saying:
google for "SDL tutorial" returned - "Results 1 - 100 of about 20,600 English pages for sdl tutorial." If even 1% of those are helpful, that should be plenty for anyone.

Evillive2
Evillive2
Properly done, Java can be used to create an interface similar to the SDL graphics system. I did it, and its not THAT slow. (Fun too )

--------------------------------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we could just get the source code.
--------------------------------------------------------Life would be so much easier if we could just get the source code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement