Problems drawing faces :(

Started by
8 comments, last by dischord333 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I draw people pretty well and even faces, but all my faces look caucasian, EVEN WHEN I SEE IN MY MIND A BEAUTIFUL ASIAN OR AFRICAN FACE!!! I have very hard time drawing good Asian, African, Hispanic faces. Its really holding my skill level down alot. I can even make the eyes Asian, but he still looks too caucasian. It is just reall frustrating to me and I tear up many good pictures just over the face. Does anyone here have any pointer or tip for me that may hellp me overcome this obstacle with drawing faces of different ethnicity????
Advertisement
I would take 20 pics of asian people, 20 pics of african people, 20 of hispanic, 20 of north African, etc, etc...

Then i would try to understand (more than trying to draw the same aspect) what are the common aspects of the faces.

Remember that when you think of the inhabitants of a country, they always physically been modeled by their climate, fauna hostility, landscape, history, etc... They had (well, WE had) to improve our lives in the place where we were born.

For the Attention of all : I''m not doing a generalization upon such BS as "races", "better/worse", etc... Thank you !

Example : Center Africa people have a very musculated body, and a dark skin. Simply : An hostile environment and lots of sun. Tribes based on a survival life, run faster than the lion.

The obesity is growing up fast for the native american. They were living on little meat by year and where not eating any kind of fatty ressource. Their body reacted very fast at their new alimentation.

So, before you draw any ethnic face, just try to get the overview of their land and history. You''ll learn more than if you just try to copy any portrait.

Put some examples opf your works for us to see what''s going wrong.
-----------------------------"Reality is what remains even when you don't believe it's true."
Look at the how to draw manga tutorials, they''ll give you the basics of drawing Asian style faces.
Also check out a book called "Draw Real People" by Lee Hammond. They have basic structures for different Ethnic Groups

Black Joker Productions

Live in my world, Play in yours!!!

BJpro.
The Month of July Studios
quote:Original post by downgraded
Look at the how to draw manga tutorials, they''ll give you the basics of drawing Asian style faces.

No that teaches you how to draw in a manga style.
And Manga is based on the ''Asian'' characteristics of the human face. Don''t forget that Manga isn''t just ''cartoony'', there is incredibly realistic Manga out there and they all follow the same basic rules.
nonononononononononono.....

no asian manga no general rules abot the races features.
heres what you need dude....

go out and buy a big ol pad of newsprint. and some charcoal. i would tell you to get a book on head drawing, but honestly, ive seen whats out there, and they are all crap.

ok, hopefully i can type this to make sence without visuals... heres what you do to make drawings look like the people siting in front of you...

you need to start with a lay in, and find the large plains of the face. draw ACCURATLY how these plains sit on the face and at what angle and how they relate to one another. do not sit there and think in your head "ok, this is an asian woman so her eyes are gona be kinda thin and slanded like this..."
when you are drawing a model you should be thinking like this: "ok this big blob of light is shaped like this and it is connected to this big blob of shadow and they have his funny little triangle shape right below them..."

if you draw the plains and the shapes accuratly, it will look like the person. that is the only rule. to try and follow rules like, asians have slanted eyes, or black people have muscular faces, will seriously hold you back and keep you out of the right frame of mind while drawing.
Use a photo...

Seriously... buy magazines, and draw from photos. Don''t assume that you instinctivly know the differences between all faces.

General -> Specific. Structure -> Detail.

But thats true for all drawing.
kryat and realitycheck are right. just get lots of photos and just draw them. learn the different ranges of the faces. like; how close is the eyes are to the mouth, or, the structure of an asian''s cheek, or anything else my perverted art teacher would say. bottom line, get good references.

------------------------------

Black Joker Productions

Live in my world, Play in yours!!!

BJpro.
The Month of July Studios
what i get from reading this is that there are many ways...
Figure out the one that works for you, as it is for most things in life.. try each style for a time.. Knowing something of many styles is always a good thing... Sometimes all it takes is a sentence to make it easier...
such as an hourglass shape for a woman
straight lines for a man..
the silhouette of a man is fairly straight compared to a womans curvy body.. a man only has little curves for muscle defintion.. this is how "I" storyboard the difference.. then the details back that difference up..she is wearing a dress.. etc

ethnictiy:
native african people recognise faces differently to caucasian people.. caucasian people recognise each other mainly through features, such as blue eyes, red hair etc... whereas native african people obviously dont.. its a lot subtler.. shading, depth...for me the shape of the nose is the main defining factor they are genetically more muscular.. thats a fact..

hispanic.. now... theres a toughy... besides a sombrero i dunno :/ .. mainly brown hair.. golden skin..no real shape distinctions? subtler again..

anyway.. enough of my mis-information ..hope something i typed helped

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement