MD3

Started by
1 comment, last by Funkymunky 19 years, 10 months ago
I am working on an MD3 loader in DirectX. Right now it loads all the data and animates it. The problem is the orientation of the different parts. I can get the lower, upper , and head parts attached by adding their positions (located in the tags) The problem comes when I try to apply the rotations stored in the tags. If Im correct, when I find a link to draw I have to pass it the corresponding tag so i can apply the rotations within? I have

tempv.position = RotatePbM(v.position, tag);
 // (tag was passed by previous node)

tempv.position += pos;
 // this just translates

tempv.position = RotateP(v.position, 0.0f, -(PI/2.0f), 0.0f);
 // this rotates it to be up and down cuz of how MD3s are stored

D3DXVECTOR3 RotateP(D3DXVECTOR3 v, float r, float p, float y)
{
	D3DXMATRIX R, Rx, Ry, Rz;
	D3DXVECTOR3 NewV;

D3DXMatrixRotationZ(&Rz, r);
	D3DXMatrixRotationX(&Rx, p);
	D3DXMatrixRotationY(&Ry, y);

R = Rz * Rx * Ry;

NewV.x = (v.x*R._11)+(v.y*R._21)+(v.z*R._31);
	NewV.y = (v.x*R._12)+(v.y*R._22)+(v.z*R._32);
	NewV.z = (v.x*R._13)+(v.y*R._23)+(v.z*R._33);

return NewV;
}

D3DXVECTOR3 RotatePbM(D3DXVECTOR3 v, MD3Tag *tag)
{
	D3DXVECTOR3 NewV;

NewV.x = (v.x*tag->rotation[0][0])+(v.y*tag->rotation[0][1])+(v.z*tag->rotation[0][2]);
	NewV.y = (v.x*tag->rotation[1][0])+(v.y*tag->rotation[1][1])+(v.z*tag->rotation[1][2]);
	NewV.z = (v.x*tag->rotation[2][0])+(v.y*tag->rotation[2][1])+(v.z*tag->rotation[2][2]);

return NewV;
}
Are those functions right, and is the order of operations performed on the vector correct?
Advertisement
I''m not sure if that code is right, but I know what you could check it against. Look at the MD3Viewer at this site. It uses DX8, I think.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Ok, so now what i''m wondering is what''s the best way to handle doing all these rotations? Do I want to save the world matrix, then change it for each piece that I have to rotate to draw? Or do I want to pre-rotate the vertices mathematically and store them how I want them?

Anyone at all farmiliar with MD3s?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement