• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacifist

Help with matrices

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to create a projection matrix that causes everything to be aligned parrallel to the camera. Currently in my code whenever something gets to the edge of the screen it appears at a slight angle, i don''t want this (it''s a top down shooter). I currently have the FOV set to a really low number to overcome this, but this means that the objects have to be drawn at a really large distance, so obviously this isn''t ideal. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Look into setting an ortho projection. I don''t know what API you''re using, but do a search in your docs for some version of "OrthoLH".

Hmmm the ortho matrix killed my Z-Distance-Values.
They are now meaningless for everything.
Is there a way to create a matrix where things still get shrunk as their Z-Distance increases?

[edited by - Pacifist on June 7, 2004 11:07:38 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
You want billboarding, not ortho projection. There''s a demo of this in the DirectX 9.0 and 9.0b SDKs (and probably in earlier versions).

the only projection matrix that shrinks things along z is the normal perspective matrix as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!