New Win32 Forum

Started by
26 comments, last by baskuenen 23 years, 3 months ago
I just want to add my support for a Win32 forum. I would vote for just Win32 (GDI would kind of automatically get included), not MFC. Obviously, people will answer MFC questions if they're asked, but one of the big reasons that a Win32 forum is needed is that MS is so MFC oriented and kind of buries the Win32 API stuff.

"That ain't soup du jour. I had soup du jour once. It was chicken"

Edited by - justj on September 17, 2000 9:59:50 PM
"It's obvious isn't it Miller? Curiosity killed these cats!"
Advertisement
I too think that this would be a great idea. I think there would be little need to have two seperate forums though(MCF and plain Win32). This would only create more work for our moderators (which is probably the reason why we don;t have another forum yet).
On the topic of Windows programming, I am suprised how little talk there is of peopple creating tools in Windows to aide them with thier games. I recently read a brilliant info tutorial written by Robert Huebner, who has been a games programmer for six years.
He did a presentation at GDC1999, and this tutorial contained the points he made. One of the points which was of interest to me was that 50% of Game programming time and effort should be put into tools to make the game, and the other 50% should be into the engine. He stated that the tools should be conventional windows programs (such at map editors and Model editors), yet there seems to be very little information to be found on these topics. I am really intersted in learning more of the Windows API and MCF (as this does save ALOT of time).

davior
YES, I''ve spoken to Dave and this new Win32 forum was confirmed.

He''s a little very much busy lately, so it could take another moment Well, how long we''ll have to wait - I don''t know, but one day it will be here

We definetly need this forum!! I just recently conquered a tough ass bug with the help of some of the people here. The problem was that my somewhat obscure issue kept getting pressed down the page in the general forum.... I had to spend a lot of time just to keep it alive! In a smaller, more specialized forum, I dont think this will be as much of an issue. Also, the people reading that forum should have much more knowledge about Win32 than JohnDoe the Initiate in the general forum.
There is no spoon.
I agree with Davior about the importance of making tools. I currently have an idea for a game (you can check it out in the Game Design Forum: Fighting Game Design Brainstorm), but I would really like to learn how to make tools to help me create it. I know some Win32, but there is a lot that I don''t know, so I''m glad somebody is interested in making information/knowledge available.
"If you eat a live toad first thing in the morning, nothing worse will happen all day long."—California saying"To you or the toad."—Niven's restatement of California saying"Well, most of the time anyway…"—Programmer's caveat to Niven's restatement of California saying
It''s been another 6 weeks, maybe it''s time to bring this up again... (Am I a pain in the hind or what )
Sounds like a good idea to me. I think you should link this page in the faq http://bcgrizzly.com/~forger/winprog/tutorial/

Or not some ********* deleted it

My Homepage

Visit my forums

Edited by - crazy-vasey on November 4, 2000 9:50:00 AM
baskuenen, just keep bringing it up so they don''t forget =). It''s something that is definately needed, and I''m sure they will add it when they get time.

Also, I see no reason why MFC shouldn''t be included in the forum, as MFC is just a series of wrapper classes Win32 API.

- Houdini
- Houdini
No! I''m not giving up - EVER!

lol - haven''t seen you in a while Bask. I started reading this thread and actually recognized it. I was like "oh no, here we go"

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement