I just don't know

Started by
5 comments, last by Dko 19 years, 10 months ago
I can''t ever seam to be able and sit down and program anything. I learn but can''t ever think of anything to do with what I learned. The few times im inspired to program something are very enjoyable, but I never keep going with them. Like my text rpg I was making. I got two characters to fight each other in a simple menu based fight. But after that I just couldn''t go any further. Didn''t know where else to go with it code wise. I know I should write sorta document that states where im going with a program but even that my mind draws a blank. It seams like all my inspiration is for the bigger projects I wana do when im good enuff. I just can''t seam to get my self on the road of getting there.
Advertisement
Programming is work. It is more fun than working at McDonald''s, but it is still work. What counts is not starting something but finishing it through. You have to determine yourself to bring it to completion, even at times it is not fun but just ugly work.

To greater your chances of success you should start small and work to the bigger things.

Practice yourself in the smaller things for heaven''s sake, and then work on to the bigger ones.

That is written in The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I.

peace
I just wish I could think of something simple to do. Maybe some suggestions?

[edited by - Dko on June 7, 2004 12:14:21 AM]
try going here to learn SDL...its not as hard as you think to make graphics (at least not with SDL)... just check out the first 2 tutorials at cone3d... once you can get a bitmap to move around the screen, it shouldnt be hard to figure out how to make pong... just go for it. i remember i was struggling and getting un-inspired making my text RPG, and then someone showed me the link to SDL.. just check it out
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Hemm that just might help thanks
Nothing gets me going quite like programming explosions :-) I find that coming up with newer and more creative ways to blow things up gives me a great joy that i cannot fully describe.
find a complete simply game to write. Write a pong clone. Then right weird pong clones. Like a pong clone with 4 players. Or 8 players. Or 3 players.
Just pick little games and write them. Tetris is always good. Space invaders. Asteroids rocks. Don''t do anything fancy. Just pick an API (SDL is COOL) and an older game and clone it if you can''t think of anything. Those games all have features that you probably need. Tetris has the rotating blocks and the row clearing. Implement every feature from the games you can remember or look up. Then try adding little things. For example, in a tetris clone after you finish you might add graphical goodies like flickering or exploding blocks. Pong might have sound effects. Asteroids might have a complete menu system with high scores and key preferences that are saved to a file. Don''t stress finding projects, just find small things and finsh them

--------------------------------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we could just get the source code.
--------------------------------------------------------Life would be so much easier if we could just get the source code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement