• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir Sapo

DirectX and C++

This topic is 5275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello , I have been writing games and apps in java for a while now , and now I want to learn C++. I was wondering , does DirectX have its own language, or is it used in conjunction with C++. Thanks in Advance.

Advertisement
DirectX is an API to which you can access the hardware abstraction layer, i.e. it provides an generic interface to your graphics card, sound card etc. This means you can write a single program that will work with different hardware (Excluding the complications of using machine code).

You''ll still be programming in C++ when making use of DirectX, it''s not an actual language by itself.

Uhm, neither of those definitions are correct.

DirectX is a COM-based API, which can be used with any language which supports COM. Basically, you can use it with C,C++, Managed C++,C#,or VB.

In theory, it''s possible to use it in other languages (e.g. Delphi). In practice, it''s easier to just learn one of the languages where documentation is readily available ^_~.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!