• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happylrac

GLSL and me

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been trying to wrap my head around some GLSL questions and I need your help. I''ve read many post over several boards and I still cannot find what I am looking for. 1. What is a good compiler/design app for GLSL? Rendermonkey? I own a NV FX5600. I''m not really looking for software emulation. But I would like a compiler/designer that could make decent shader programs for both NV and ATI cards. 2. Will the shader programs I make be able to be used cross-plat (linux) provided the card has the support for it? 3. Many say GLSL is going to be the standard for OpenGL shading for a while. What do you think? I''m all fired up to do some GL shading, not sure where to get started though. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Advertisement
1 - You''ve only got a choice of Rendermonkey or Typhoon Labs'' OpenGL Shader Designer. Neither of these provide software emulation, they both relie on the graphics card driver to provide an GLSL implimentation.

2 - yes

3 - I doubt anything is going to come around and replace it anytime in the next 10 years

Thanks Phantom. I picked up that Shader Designer from Typhoon labs. Looks like Rendermonkey 1.5 will have glsl support. But that does not seem to be out yet. I''ll install Shader Designer tonight and give it a go. Thanks again.

someone posted a username/password for 3dlab''s ftp with RM1.5 on a while ago, I think both in here and in Graphic Programming and Theory forum, do a search on Rendermonkey to find the details

quote:
Original post by happylrac
Looks like Rendermonkey 1.5 will have glsl support. But that does not seem to be out yet.

RenderMonkey 1.5 is avaliable according to this

I believe it it ''legit'' as well since RenderMonkey 1.5 is included in "Read-Time Shader Programing"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!