Farcry modding

Started by
45 comments, last by fagiano 19 years, 7 months ago
I haven''t heard much regarding Farcry mods on this forum, and I find it strange as Lua seems to be a popular programming language around here and Farcry uses it extensively. Why exactly is that? I hope to see more people around here making use of the Cryengine and Lua for mod development.
Advertisement
Well, there aren''t exactly many mod posts, and people tend to mod slightly older games that more people are familiar with.
Plus, learning a new platform is _hard_ - which is why the sequels get all the attention - their platforms are easy. Only if a games is an astronomical success do they try and mod it without experience with the devkit.... of course, for some goddamn reason, they totally ignore whether or not it was meant to be modded. I mean people actually try to mod GTA3 by exe hacks. Plus there''s that Desert Combat thing, another mod that was made mainly just by brute hacking.

Funny how the actual quality of the toolkit just doesn''t seem to enter into the equation when it comes to the uber-hardcore TC modders.
-- Single player is masturbation.
well Desert Combat was supported by Dice (afaik ... correct me if i''m wrong) so this was no brute hacking. Check out www.pandora-forces.de .. its a farcry mod I''m working on at the moment...
Perhaps not much people know about FC here? I just stumbled across this site and think this is a good place to find more about Lua. Great to see a community dedicated to the scripting languages.
FC is a new engine, therfore you guys have to wait for a while until there will be dedicated moding communities around it.
Offtopic: Lua is not the only scripting language, you know? :)
Quote:Original post by aarbro
Perhaps not much people know about FC here? I just stumbled across this site and think this is a good place to find more about Lua. Great to see a community dedicated to the scripting languages.

Well, I designed the FC script/modding system :) . So I guess there are people that know about FC here.
BTW I no longer work for crytek but if you got some questions I'm glad to help.
-----------------------------The programming language Squirrelhttp://www.squirrel-lang.org
FarCry is totally script access, no engine/C++? The last time I checked people were still awaiting on the SDK for FC, has it come around yet?

I was considering FC because HL2 is taking so god damn long to come out, I decided to bring my game to HL2 because I can start programming on it now (the original SDK is suppose 95 percent 'able to be ported').
-John "bKT" Bellone [homepage] [[email=j.bellone@flipsidesoftware.com]email[/email]]
Quote:Original post by fagiano
Well, I designed the FC script/modding system :) . So I guess there are people that know about FC here.

[wow] I'm very impressed! [inlove]

I have some experience in Far Cry modding with Lua. I found
it very easy to use and very powerful.
神はサイコロを振らない!
Quote:Original post by fagiano

Hi fagiano, looks like I'll visit here more often:) I can only say I'm impressed by the scripting possibilities in FC. Must have taken some time to design that system. Still very easy to create new functionality in and debug.

Actually I have one question about the state machine which I'm working with in an entity. I understand a state is a table of functions that replace the "global" events in the entity. When in a state, the events with the same name inside that state are used instead of the "global" ones. Is that right?

I know how to start the states but how do I stop using them and return to the ordinary events in the entity?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement