Working with source repositories(CVS/etc.)

Started by
17 comments, last by Toolmaker 19 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Toolmaker
But I do not agree on the comment about VSS. I have seen it being used at my internship. I had my own code branch which wasn''t inside the VSS database so I never got to work with it. But I never heard of any problems with VSS. If I would have to make a corporate decision, where everyone was inside the same office, I would run VSS anyway. But I use Microsoft products for almost anything(As long as those products are available ofcourse).

MS is pretty much ditching VSS. They have never used it internally for major projects - it was unable to scale to the requirements. Instead they used a custom version of Perforce.

VSS has been the laughing stock of the whole version control community for a long time - that''s how bad it is. See this page for some testimonials about VSS: http://www.wadhome.org/svn_vs_vss.txt
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Onemind
CVS isn''t as bad as everyone acts like. I think the reason it has a bad name is all the stupid kids that can''t figure out how to use it.
Right, you''re a cool guy and a good progam should be hard to use. Oh sorry, I was wrong. In both statements.

Having used VSS, CVS, Subversion and Perforce I''d recommend Perforce for a larger development team, but with pricing taken into account Subversion is probably the best choice.

CVS and VSS both suffer from the lack of atomic commits. The file-locking mechanism in VSS has some issues that people often complain about.

If you''re about to introduce a new environment, there''s absolutely no reason for choosing CVS over Subversion.

If you can afford it, Perforce is a great tool. Subversion is nice too once you have it up and running, but the learning curve is somewhat higher.
VSS is ASS!! I mean it. Microsoft did a great job with the new Visual Studio, but honestly, VSS is the biggest pain-in-the-ass-source-control-system ever. Getting it to work is a little easier than CVS, but it doesnt scale well and isnt very reliable on anything other than a LAN.

Both Subversion and CVS are great, theyre both far superior to most competing commercial source-control software (except for Perforce and ClearCase), and theyve got everything you need for a mid-size or even a large project.
quote:Original post by Toolmaker
But I do not agree on the comment about VSS. I have seen it being used at my internship. I had my own code branch which wasn''t inside the VSS database so I never got to work with it. But I never heard of any problems with VSS. If I would have to make a corporate decision, where everyone was inside the same office, I would run VSS anyway. But I use Microsoft products for almost anything(As long as those products are available ofcourse).
VSS has several issues with larger projects, but for a single developer or a small team it''s quite ok. If you have much binary data (images, documents etc) things start to run very slow after some time. It''s also not fool-proof if something crashes, given that it builds on locking files from the client (no server).

The fact that you don''t have a server could be an advantage if you run it on your local computer at home, the setup is really easy.
quote:Original post by psamty10
VSS is ASS!! I mean it. Microsoft did a great job with the new Visual Studio, but honestly, VSS is the biggest pain-in-the-ass-source-control-system ever. Getting it to work is a little easier than CVS, but it doesnt scale well and isnt very reliable on anything other than a LAN.

Both Subversion and CVS are great, theyre both far superior to most competing commercial source-control software (except for Perforce and ClearCase), and theyve got everything you need for a mid-size or even a large project.
I basically agree. But if you''re on a LAN, have a very small team and not much code, want to mimimize administration, don''t have anyone really interested in learning CVS etc., VSS could be a descent choice.
As others have said, VSS sucks big time - don''t use it.

I''ve never used Subversion but I''ve used Perforce a lot and it''s really good. It''s very widely used in game development as well. If there''s only 2 of you, you can use Perforce for free. If there''s any chance of needing more than 2 users you have to start paying though so you might be better off with Subversion.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Well, for now we are only with two of us, but we don''t know how that will be in the future. I will also take a look at Perforce since everybody is so jolly about it

On a side note towards VSS, the integration with VC.NET lacks a bit, because it often generates "Unspecified Error" when accessing data not attached to a VSS server while it still has VSS information files. VSS is moved out of the picture.

Toolmaker

*Kicking back to top*

I installed SVN, and I am reading up the docs now, but does anyone have a day to day use guide for SVN? Stuff like when commiting back into the repository, etc.

Toolmaker

Have you read the SVN book?

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement