• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greggtwep

good old exporting problem

This topic is 5243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a .max file that I purchased off of turbosquid.com and I am trying to export it to .3ds. Its a nice file and looks very nice. It is a very large file (23mb) and has a lot of polygons (>500,000). Obviously, when I go to export it in 3ds max 6 I get the usual >64k faces error. Now I did a search on google on how to fix this problem and the only thing I found was to fool with the file itself and make sure any mesh in the scene is <64k. Doing so would require me to split up what is right now a collection of 8 meshes. Now, I am a programmer and not an artist. First off, it would take me awhile to learn how to do this. Secondly it is WAY over 64k so doing this wouldn''t be just splitting up a few meshes. I was wondering if there is another way to do this. Any plugins that allows you to export larger files? Any way other way of doing this? Help would be appreciated.
"understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side.. and the truth "

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. "

"The degree of technical competence is inversely proportional to the level of management. "

"Any given program, when running, is obsolete. "

Advertisement
anyone know of any other way?

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. "

"The degree of technical competence is inversely proportional to the level of management. "

check : http://www.maxplugins.de/

Or check http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm

Or you can try to export in another format, then convert it in .3ds format.

Thanks.

I had already tried maxplugins but I did not find one that worked.

I looked at deep exploration but I don''t think that this would work but has anyone tried it and could say for sure?

Also, exporting it into another format and then converting it I would be happy to but how would I do this. The only program I have that in the end would save as .3ds is 3ds max. So even if I exported it to say .md3 or whatever I''d have to go through 3ds max to save it in the end and would have the same problem. Are there oneshots out there that just convert from format to format then?

Any help is appreciated.

Still stuck on this problem. Does anyone know how long it would take to learn how to subdivide the meshes and limit each to under 64k. Remember I am a programmer and know little to nothing about 3ds max so an estimate on how long would be helpful so I can gauge on whether it would be worth it or not.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!