• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ade-the-heat

tunnels !

This topic is 5242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can do a wonderful and massive terrain of cliffs and fields etc using any photo editor. So how can I do tunnels easily ? ie for an aeroplane to fly around my terrain and then dive into a tunnel in a cliff that is really long and wide ?

Advertisement
pretty much every terrain generation system cant allow for tunnels because of the nature of the data set in use, so if you want to add features like that you''ll have to add them manualy to the world by outputing the world data as a model and editing it in a 3d modeling program before loading it as a model into your app.

The way some games do this is the level designer marks some terrain polygons as "holes" which aren''t rendered or checked for collisions by the engine, and then inserts a 3d model of a tunnel into the hole.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!