• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkZoulz

Isometric Camera

This topic is 5101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, how can I setup the camera view to have a isometric perspective. I''m working on a isometric graphics engine and i''m really new to this 3D stuff.

Advertisement
you could just set up an orthographic projection and treat the isometric rendering in a 2D way? as far as using a 3D projection to render an old skool isometric view (where there is basically no perspective effect), i''m not sure how that would be possible

if u meant a 3rd person view like in commandos then that is just a simple camera transformation but i guess u mean old skool isometric?

I''m rendering the ground using textured RHW polygons (128x64) and I want all the objects (characters, trees etc) to be meshes rendered over the ground. So the ground is rendered in ortho, but I can''t figure out how the camera should be positioned to make the meshes look like they stand on the ground.

Can I just rotate the camera on the Y-axis? Should I use the perspective projection and a lookat matrix for the view?

btw, i''m using the Direct3D 9 API.

i think i see what u mean.. so u have 3d meshes which u want to draw over the ground at an isometric angle? imo u should try rendering the meshes in ortho after a translate and a rotate (translate to ground position, rotate to isometric angle). they may look a bit weird since there is no 3d perspective.

if ure forced to use a 3d projection, then u could try keeping the depth of the meshes constant and changing the other coords to position the meshes over the ground. but then u might have problems with overlapping objects being drawn wrong. if u change the depth of the meshes then obviously they will get smaller further away which i guess does not match with the lack of true perspective on the ground?

so orthographic if at all possible, i guess

of course ull actually need to rotate THEN translate but im sure u got the gist of it

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!