• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jujubean

Frequency detection?

This topic is 5101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a method to use either an analog or digital sound input, either live (currently recording), or recorded (ogg, or mp3 format digital), and detect/read the incomming frequencies. I want to be able to get the frequencies at selected time intervals. Does anyone know of an API, or even another method to do this? In case I am unclear, here is an example. Say I have a .ogg file steaming into my program. The incomming musical notes consist of 4 whole notes, A C A C (I believe A has a frequency of something like 430 mhz, but thats not important right now). I want to be able to sample the incomming notes and determin that the frequency of the first note is 430 (or close to it anyhow). How can I do this? NOTE: I am a c++ programmer.

Advertisement
This gets asked here quite frequently:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=219101

Contact that person and see if they have any sueful information to pass on

((psst. The A note to which you refer is 440Hz. There is no frequency that we can hear measured in mHz. Corresponding A notes would be: 220, 110, 55, 880, 1760 etc... Just thought I''d say that))

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!