• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is an overlay?

This topic is 4971 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When setting colorkeys for blitting transparencies, there are two types...source key or destination key. Both of these types have an additional type...overlay. This may be a stupid question (which is why I put it in the beginner section) but just what does DirectX (and maybe the rest of the graphics-working world) consider to be an "overlay"?

Advertisement
All I could find on MSDN:

quote:

destination color key
The color that (in the case of blitting) is replaced or (in the case of overlays) is covered on the destination surface.

source color key
A color that (in the case of blitting) is not copied to, or (in the case of overlays) not visible on, the destination.

Yeah, I did I see that myself today, while I was trying to resolve an issue with SetColorKey I had.

So far as explaining overlays, it''s pretty confusing. =) I *think* I understand, but I won''t pretend to.

i''m quite sure i read somewhere that overlays are used for video, not for games, but i cann''t remember where i read that. i don''t know how they are used though.

I don''t know... Overlays are kinda kewl though. Take a screenshot of your desktop with a video window, then paste it into paint. Whee, you have a hole in paint!

• Advertisement