• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JavaHead_Jonnie

Where should I begin?

This topic is 5270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ah. Another cocky, thinks-he-knows-it-all-smart-arsed 13 year old joins the ranks of people who say "I wanna program games! Where do I sign up?". But that''s where the similarity ends. No, I don''t want to code an RPG/MMORPG. Just yet... I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for me to learn C++. I''ve got my grubby little mitts on a copy of VC++6, read some tutorials and now have a few questions: * LINUX Redhat 7.3 or LINUX Mandrake 8.1? * Where can I find some good game programming tutorials? * OOP is important. Is ASM? * What do i need to know about DirectX? And just FYI, I''ve heard "Go home kiddie, this is for adults!" enough to know to ignore it. I''ve been web programming for 5 years. And I''m good at it. I''m familiar with programming so after making my Pong/Tetris/Snake/Space Invaders clones I do eventually want to make an MMORPG (I am familiar with network programming but only as WinSock in VB). Thanks ----------------- Born to be wired!

Advertisement
First of all: Welcome =)

Next - your questions:

- LINUX Redhat 7.3 or LINUX Mandrake 8.1? The question should rather be: Linux redhat 9.0 or Linux Mandrake 10.0? Well - I'm using Mdk 10, but it's only question of personal opinion.

- Where can I find some good game programming tutorials? Right here =). Or here. And also google - and search for more - theese are only some.

- OOP is important. Is ASM? For begginer? Nope

- What do i need to know about DirectX? Everything. I don't program in DX, but I doubt you can use it if you know only 10% of it. But there are other libraries - and btw - DirectX won't work under Linux... OpenGL is the next graphics library.

Oxyd

[edited by - Oxyd on June 8, 2004 1:30:19 PM]

[edited by - Oxyd on June 8, 2004 1:30:44 PM]

[edited by - Oxyd on June 8, 2004 1:31:28 PM]

rant: Most people "discriminate" against teens when it comes to this stuff b/c most don''t have the knowledge and want to tackle an almost impossible goal. There is no doubt that they have the mental capacity (there are 14 yr old doctors), it''s just almost all teens are a few years away from gaining a good understanding/skills needed for this stuff.

anyway good luck, c++ shouldn''t be too hard for you to grasp if you have done other programming

Linux redhat 9.0 or Linux Mandrake 10.0?
Hehe. Just what I had on disk...

Alright. Mandrake it is. Will VC++6 work on Linux?

And OpenGL sounds fine but will it be OK for product deployment? Does the user require new drivers/software?

Thanks

-----------------
Born to be wired!

quote:
Original post by JavaHead_Jonnie
Alright. Mandrake it is. Will VC++6 work on Linux?

And OpenGL sounds fine but will it be OK for product deployment? Does the user require new drivers/software?

VC++6 will only work on a *NIX system if you are running windows emulation. VC++6 is a windows app. i don't know the state of windows emulaters on *NIX systems so you might be ok. i'd reccomend going with a native application though. for a *NIX system it'll be free, so you can't lose.

if you're developing on a linux system you can't use DirectX since it's only for Windows. so you'll have to use openGL. and you won't need anything fancy for your users. windows has a default openGL driver (which sucks), but any 3D card will have it's own openGL driver that will support whatever hardware acceleration the card can do. you're just as fine with openGL as you will be with DirectX. the APIs are also similar enough that learning one will make learning the other very very easy. You can't go wrong either way.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on June 8, 2004 1:58:26 PM]

OpenGL is normal 3D library just like DirectX. There are a lot of differences, but I've never seen a graphics card (or driver) that would support DX, and not OGL (I'm 16, so I didn't experience theese older VGA video cards).

- Will VC++ 6 run on Linux? Nope. It's microsoft product - they will never let it work on their greatest concurent OS =). But there are many (and better, IMO) IDE's (you'll want to use G++ as a compiler, trust me ) - for example KDevelop).

Oxyd

- Unreadable code is code written on a piece of paper, but not the one, in which the programmer is using a space in the place you don't.
- Real programmers aren't afraid of goto

[edited by - Oxyd on June 8, 2004 2:01:46 PM]

VC++ of any version is Windows-only. It will not work on Linux. There are, however, other development environments for Linux. KDevelop 3 comes to mind.

I tried using KDevelop 3 (when it was in beta) back when I was playing around with Linux, and while I found it easy to use for simple programs, I couldn''t figure out how to organize the project files in large project. Unfortunately, last time I checked, the documentation was incomplete.

For learning C++, however, it might be just fine.

Then there''s always the method of editing your programs in a text editor and running the compiler from the command-line.

quote:
I couldn''t figure out how to organize the project files in large project.

I''m pretty satisfied with the organization of the projects in the last version of KDevelop. Especially, I love theese "build targets" - I found, I was missing it on my VC++ 6.

Oxyd

- Unreadable code is code written on a piece of paper, but not the one, in which the programmer is using a space in the place you don''t.
- Real programmers aren''t afraid of goto

VC6++ is a terrible IDE.

If you''re doing Linux development, stick with a Linux IDE.

Since you''re only 13, I''m going to assume you can''t afford the vastly superior VC.Net, so you''re probably stuck with what you have, or whatever you can get for free. KDevelop seems to be a good option, with g++ for the compiler.

quote:

* Where can I find some good game programming tutorials?

Well, you''re here, aren''t you?
Also:
http://www.flipcode.com
http://www.gamasutra.com

You may not be able to sign up for gamasutra - I think COPPA requires you to be over 13, but I''m not 100% on that.

quote:

* OOP is important. Is ASM?

It''s important to know how ASM *WORKS*, but the odds are that, unless you''ve been doing this for a while, you won''t have any use for it. When you begin to really understand this stuff, you can start using ASM via inline Assembly. Let the compiler do it''s job, for now.

quote:

* What do i need to know about DirectX?

It''s probably the best option for multimedia (graphics, sound, etc.) on Windows. If you''re not using Windows, you need to know nothing (though understanding how it works might be helpful if you''re looking at a tutorial that focuses on it). If you''re using Linux, you''ll want to deal with OpenGL.

also:

quote:

There is no doubt that they have the mental capacity (there are 14 yr old doctors

Just don''t write a diary on your computer every night.

I''m sure there are 14 year olds with doctorates (and serious mental problems later in life), but I think the majority of 14 year olds probably just don''t know enough about this sort of thing to just jump in.

quote:
LINUX Redhat 7.3 or LINUX Mandrake 8.1

Neither. Windows XP will suit you much better for game development. Anyone who tells you different is living some pipe dream.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!