Where should I begin?

Started by
78 comments, last by JavaHead_Jonnie 19 years, 10 months ago
If I didn''t feel it like an awkward idea, I would repeat my "je voudrai un livre..." dialog... =).

Well - libraries for C++ developement? Std C++ and C static and run-time libraries are installed automatically (and in a fact - you can''t unselect them in package selection while installing). This will be enough for you for few months while you''ll be learning C++. And then, maybe other libraries, like SDL-devel and similar - but they''re often on the MDK CD''s and also - bookmark this: http://www.freshmeat.net <- just type your linux software wish and press the "search" button =).

Oxyd

"It is better to listen than to speak"
-- Abba Nisterus
Advertisement
Ok using Linux is not really nessesary. But if you insist.
Now you wont be able to use DirectX, or VC++ 6.0. You will
have to use a native compiler for Linux.

I recommend you start with 2D using SDL. Using an API like OpenGL for 2D is overkill. SDL is a simple cross platform API that allows you to render 2D graphics. Its fairly simple to learn. I suggest you make a couple simple games like starting with Pong, then Tetris, then PacMan and if you like try a side scroller like Mario, or a tile based RPG like the early Final Fantasy.

Since you are 13 you probably will have a hard time with the Math in 3D games. Wait until you learn Algebra before you start working on a 3D game. It will make your life so much easier.

Make sure you have a good understanding of C++ though. It will really help you out in the long run. All I can say is good luck and don''t give up. Then maybe someday you will have that MMO of yours.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
quote:Original post by QzarBaron
Since you are 13 you probably will have a hard time with the Math in 3D games. Wait until you learn Algebra before you start working on a 3D game. It will make your life so much easier.

Indeed. But it will take few years till he learns algebra. I already mentioned, I was/am (fuc**** tenses!) 16 and I can tell you that things like algebra still miss my head from great distance. So - I can tell you that when you'll be 16 you probably still won't do any 3d.

Probably... I emphasise probably!

Oxyd

"It is better to listen than to speak"
-- Abba Nisterus

[edited by - Oxyd on June 9, 2004 12:42:51 PM]
1. I want to work in Linux because I find windows slows me down.
2. OK OK. I only wanted to start in OpenGL because I may someday want to work in 3D.
3. I said (Somewhere between dimension_x_son''s posts) that I was going to start with Pong, Snake, Space Invaders etc.
4. Freshmeat is already up at the top of my bookmarks list (Just below SourceForge).
5. Trust me when I say I can cope with the algebra. I''m doing GCSE level math work at school instead of year 8 stuff. The ability runs in my family. But I won''t start 3D for a while anyway.

And finally, could anyone reccomend a good book to learn from; I thought something like ''C++ For Dummies'' should be sort of thing I need.

-----------------
Born to be wired!
-----------------Born to be wired!
He, I''m 13 and if he really wants to learn how to program he can do it :D. I started with some gamemaker when I was 10 after that VB and after that C++ and now I know some more stuff VB learned me how programming languages work. After that I learned some basic C++ and started to use the SDL library because it was just the most easy 2D library I could find out there. If he does go for OpenGL and Linux be sure to use the Ortho mode ;P
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
Good Books:

C++ Premier Plus(Good for beginners)

Accelerated C++(Good book covers the STL)

Linux Game Programming(Free E-Book on Linux programming with SDL and other libraries, coveres sound, networking, all sorts of fun stuff for 2D games)

"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
I couldn''t find C++ Premier Plus, but I did find C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata. Which I''m sure someone reccomended to me...

-----------------
Born to be wired!
-----------------Born to be wired!
^^ thats what he ment I dont like that book because its like a textbook meant for classrooms w/ a teacher. I would recommend accelerated c++ its supposed to be an easyer read.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
quote:
5. Trust me when I say I can cope with the algebra. I''m doing GCSE level math work at school instead of year 8 stuff. The ability runs in my family. But I won''t start 3D for a while anyway.

The stuff you need for 3D math isn''t really covered in the GCSE syllabus, but then it ain''t really too hard you just need to know basic matrix operations (at first anyway).

If you''re going for linux SDL is the way to go (as other posters have said). It allow you to play with 2D without the hassle of having to set up an orthographic projection mode in GL.

On books I can''t think of any titles to recomend (apart from ''The C++ Programming Lanuage'' by Bjare Stroustrup, who created the lanuage, though that''s probably not a good book to get if you''re completely new to C++ and have no experience with C). I have heard you should stay clear of the for dummies and learn C++ in 24 hours type books though (however never had read any of them I may be wrong here). The Gamedev C++ book section would be a good place to look for title ideas.
Yeah i ment C++ Primer Plus.

Accelerated C++ is the worst book for beginners. It goes so indepth to the language and can get pretty confusing. I would recommend once you learn C++ some more.

As for books, in never bought a book on C++. All I know I learnt from online tutorials, Thinking in C++(free e-book, really good read), C++ in 21 days(free e-book). Then I read Accelerated C++.
A lot of people told me C++ Primer Plus was a good book so I recommended it.

BTW: The C++ Programming Language is a heuge, expensive book. Its also not a good book for introducing the language.

[edited by - QzarBaron on June 9, 2004 3:06:35 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement