Game Developing contests ?

Started by
17 comments, last by Red Drake 19 years, 10 months ago
By Etnu:
"Simply resolved. We have a $5 fee, which would more or less offset the cost of buying the card (could be less if there are more submissions, of course)."

Who is "we" in your sentince ??
And how do you suopse to pay a fee - from Croatia ?? (No checks - 17, no Mail becouse it will get stolen...)
Red Drake
Advertisement
acoders got one running at the moment.
There''s two months++ left to the deadline.
The theme is time and time manipulation.

Acoders Competition
quote:Original post by Etnu
quote:
to remove barriers to entry and make it fair to cheap developers, free tools only. Windows operating system itself is allowed, but no visual studio or anything like that.

How would that be "fair"? Personally, I haven''t used a non-VS environment in years, and it would be a big pain in the ass to get another one working properly.

They don''t stop you from using one. Just bear in mind that you would still have to submit the source code, and expect people to be able to compile it with other tools (with minimal changes if necessary).

There was certainly one entry where I needed to make signficiant changes in order to be able to get the game to run for long enough that I could complete it (an infinite loop in one routine)

Mark

Retro Remakes (http://www.remakes.org) has a 3 month contest starting July 1st & running until Sept 30th. They have prizes, but most people just enter to build something to pay tribute to their favorite games of yesteryear.
I fail to see how something like using VS would present the problem of not being able to build.

It''s certainly acceptable to say "it has to be able to be compiled under a freely available tool", which I have no problem with. Anyone using something like VS should damned well better know how to compile their code under a different compiler, though.

Red: I''m sure exceptions could be made. Obviously not everyone on this site is old enough to participate in something like that, but I''m sure the majority of people probably could contribute, which would be more than enough.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

The rules for the 48 hour contest are simple, make a game in 48 hours that follows the theme. There are some restrictions (libraries and stuff) but it's not really complex. A 72 hour GDC is coming up soon, you should try it.

[edited by - impossible on June 9, 2004 2:47:47 PM]
quote:Original post by Etnu
I fail to see how something like using VS would present the problem of not being able to build.

It''s certainly acceptable to say "it has to be able to be compiled under a freely available tool", which I have no problem with. Anyone using something like VS should damned well better know how to compile their code under a different compiler, though.

Red: I''m sure exceptions could be made. Obviously not everyone on this site is old enough to participate in something like that, but I''m sure the majority of people probably could contribute, which would be more than enough.

Thanks
Buth I hawe one question .
Why does the GameDev.net not host any of this sort of contests - it woud certnatly be a mayor upgrade & bonus to the comunity - and as you touth of an simple way to solwe $$$ problem , why isn''t it organized. I saw som contests on NeHe site - buth they where all closed
And if there is somthing like this on GameDev - my apologies I shoud hawe searched bether buth I yust coud not find it.
Red Drake
Caligari and ATI are sponsoring a "Summer Shootout" indie game competition coming up soon. The deadline is June 21st, and is open to any indie-developed interactive demo. They''re offering over $10,000 worth in prizes. Click here for more details. I''ll be entering my game!

Ryan Buhr
Reactor Interactive, LLC.
rbuhr@reactorinteractive.net

Ryan Buhr

Technical Lead | Sector 13

Reactor Interactive, LLC

Facebook | Twitter

Head over to the lounge and youll see Myopic Rhino is asking about suggestions on on prizes for one gamedev will have.
hope this want mentiond already!
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement