• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eric_dc

Java 2D RPG

This topic is 5097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some friends and I just started a Java 2-D RPG. We've got a pretty good team set up, with writers, sound guys, concept artists, and two programmers. I'm a pretty skilled Java programmer, but I've never written a game this large before. Where do I start? Almost all of the game development recources seem to be based on C++ and the like. I really want to make this game in Java, but I haven't seen very many tutorials on it. I'm kind of a perfectionist, so this game has to live up to the expectations of myself and the rest of the team. Any suggestions on where to start? Should I use a free engine? Should I make one from scratch? I hate to ask extrememly general questions like this, but if there are any Java game programmers here, tell me what worked for you. *edit: The style of this game is Final Fantasy/Chrono Cross SNES era, but the magic effects will look similar to that of many GBA games. The way the FF series handles walking around in the world is the way we'd like to handle it, because it seems like the simplest solution right now. [edited by - eric_dc on June 8, 2004 4:59:45 PM]

Advertisement
well i would start with a very fleshed game design document.
and while you all do that practice some game programming techniques such as: scrolling, moving characters around, playing sound, setting up simple menus. stuff like that. by the time, you get to really coding everything will be familiar and you won''t get hung up on the simple stuff or where to go to next.

but remember design document (game and technical) first!

I have a tute on my site for java game dev, the example applet has a scrolling tilemap and walking character, source + demo are linked at the bottom of the page. That could be a place to start:

http://www.geocities.com/nonnus29/javademo/tutorial.htm

My tute is old however and uses crappy AWT for gfx. Check this site for tutorials about java2d, fullscreen, hardware acceleration, and opengl in 2d:

http://grexengine.com/sections/externalgames/

You might want to consider using JOGL or LWJGL to for rendering, rather than Java2D. It may make things easier in the long run. Then again, there''s a Chinese MMORPG which uses Java2D quite sucessfully on the client side. And I can''t be certain but I believe Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates uses Java2D as well.

The Javagaming.org forums would be a good place to look for help and advice. You might want to start off in the Newless Clubies forum, or perhaps the Gameplay/design forum and get some opinions. I''m sure a fair number of people over there will recommend OpenGL via JOGL or LWJGL for 2D. There seems to be a lot of interest in that lately from the Java2D crowd.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!