• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eng3d

Copyright/patent questions.

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes, i known that the ideas cannot be copyrighted, and the ideas will cost nothing, zero.. I "have" a pac-man clone game (just a example), this game consist in the "pacman" must eat every chips around here and avoid to be eated by the ghost, so nothing new. But my pac-man clone also allow to camouflage my "pacman" and made it invisible or camo-like-a-ghost. So, i want to patent this concept (of course *i have the prototype*, the docs, the arts...),it''s possible?. I don''t want to patent the game himself, i only just want to patent the variation. This for avoid to someone will steal it and made a another pac-man clone that made the same (invisible) but with another name, graphics, sound... Second question atent cost a lot?, and copyright? Third Question :Variant of a game (like my example) can be copyrighted?(at least the "original" parts) Fourth question :Anyone had patent/copyrighted some programs/game? (just curious)

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
1. Patents are for inventions and unique processes. I really doubt this innovation would be found to be unique and non-obvious.

2. I think patents are more expensive to file, and require more documentation, approval, and prior search. Even if they aren''t, it costs money to enforce a patent. Do you have a few million to fund your lawbots to enforce the patent?

3. I know that for a copyright, you cannot copyright a derivative of another person''s work. I don''t know if the same is true for patents, but I would suspect it is. However, I doubt the unique pacman game mechanic is patented, so it''s likely a moot point.

4. Nope. In fact, I have rarely heard of ANY game software being patented.

This is a sick and retarded idea. You clone something, then want to patent the variation?

If that were possible, you would get a nice lawsuit from Namco since your game draws far too many elements from Pacman. And probably Namco couldn''t have made Pacman to begin with, because it probably has features from other games too. All game ideas would be monopolized by their original makers, and to make anything as simple as a sidescrolling platformer you''d need to pay tons of royalties, because someone invented sidescrolling before, someone invented the concept of moving a character ina sidescrolling envronment, someone would''ve patended using animated sprites for characters, etc, etc and etc.

Just look at the plethora of ridiculous IT patents that show up on the media from time from time and cause major PITA on everyone. Imagine if games were subject to the same insanity.

This would probably be a better q to ask in the business forum.

However, I agree with M3d10n. The last thing we need is more
ridiculous software patents.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

quote:
Original post by M3d10n
This is a sick and retarded idea. You clone something, then want to patent the variation?

The patent system is set up to allow this very thing. Let''s sya you invented a cork screw, but neglected to include a handle in your design. I come along and patent the idea of a handle to make corkscrewing easier. Improvements to inventions are allowed, so my patent passes.

Now, if I wanted to produce my handled corkscrew, I would still have to respect the original patent and thus have to come up with some sort of licenscing agreement with you.

However, software patents are a bad idea, and IMHO, a insult to the thousands of people who built this field from nothing but letting others make free use of their ideas.

quote:
Original post by Korvan However, software patents are a bad idea, and IMHO, a insult to the thousands of people who built this field from nothing but letting others make free use of their ideas.

Yet, that is what progression is all about... using the ideas of the past to create new ideas for the future.

quote:
Original post by Korvan
[Now, if I wanted to produce my handled corkscrew, I would still have to respect the original patent and thus have to come up with some sort of licenscing agreement with you.

You wouldn''t need any kind of licensing agreement, since a corkscrew with a handle would be consider significantly diffrent from a handless corkscrew that it would be a diffrent invention.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Fate and Destiny only give you the opportunity the rest you have to do on your own."
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave

why did anyone even give this person a serious reply?

Why the hell would you want to patent something like that, unless you are billgates and you can pay someone to go do stupid stuff like that, i bet you can''t even program for a start

Software patents are an abuse of the patenting system and should *never* be allowed. Imagine if someone patents a for loop! This would prevent us teaching others how to program and pass on the trade.

It is disturbing to hear thing like in the USA for example it is possible to patent the genetic code of a living organism. This is wrong and evil.

I believe that eveyone should sign this to prevent patent abuses within the EU:

http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html?LANG=en

So,now i understand the reason behind the poor originality in the videogames worlds!.
The best choice is to steal ideas!. It''s for free (of course you need to made enough changes from the original). U_U

johnnyBravo :are you a idiot?. I''m a senior programmer, so don''t bother and go to see Cartoon Network.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!