Copyright/patent questions.

Started by
13 comments, last by Jannes 19 years, 9 months ago
I think Korvan's right: you can patent your variation, but in order to actually create the game in the first place you'd need a license to use the original pacman patent (Hasbro's?). I don't know whether the patent office will allow patents based on things for which you don't have a license; given that you'd have to submit a working prototype to them, you'd have to have created the game. So I don't think you can sidestep that, unless they'll look the other way while they sign you up.

Also, johnnyBravo, that's unacceptable behaviour. Attacks on other members are prohibited by the forum rules.

[edited by - superpig on June 14, 2004 2:14:54 PM]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
it should also be mentioned that even if you have a patent and a copyright, you''ll still need lots of money if you actually want to _enforce_ the same. just because you have a patent doesn''t mean that the nice gov''t will happily press your case for you. you have to actively bring to trial anyone infringing on your patent/copyright. so even if someone does steal your invisible pac man idea you''ll be able to send them a cease and desist letter, but if they ignore it you''ll still need to spend a few thousand to sue them and get them to obey.

IMHO, it''s a waste of time for something that''s most likely not patentable anyway. think about it... where would we hobby developers be if ID software patented the concept of the FPS, if westwood studios patented the RTS, etc

-me
quote:Original post by Palidine

IMHO, it''s a waste of time for something that''s most likely not patentable anyway. think about it... where would we hobby developers be if ID software patented the concept of the FPS, if westwood studios patented the RTS, etc

-me

Yes, it''s not just to patent but in the business world, the only correct way is to earn money!.

I''m thinking that they are a alternative way for "avoid" the copy:
a) Create the game and made it very popular in no time.
b) Put the concept/idea a fancy name (and logo) example: ULTRA-EMOTIOCONTROLS, then "patent it".

Because the concept was popular and it''s asociated with some game, then the competitor doesn''t want to use it because everybody will known that it''s a copy.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Game dev is a creative business not a manufacturing/inventing business. As such our games are protected by copyright, while patent really isn't suitable. Any tech we create will likely be out of date when the next hardware gen launches (as is the patent on character block background scrolling from the 8 bit days).

The real value in games are the IP rights (as in characters, story etc) and not the patents. How much are the characters Mario or Lara Croft worth these days (the IP) and how much is the technology worth (the code) that was used to drive the original 8 bit mario games or 16 bit Tomb Raider? The characters are worth hundreds of millions but the code is virtually worthless.

[Edited by - Obscure on June 16, 2004 6:19:04 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Just wanted to add a LOL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement