• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X5-Programmer

Add network support to games!

This topic is 5101 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi there, im currently working on a quake style game and i am almost done with the single-player party now and now i whant to add some network support to it for like 1-32 players or something like that, byt were can i find some tutorials/examples about this?

Advertisement
If the game wasn''t built with network support in mind then it''s probably going to take a lot of effort to add it. A quick google for socket programming came up with this. There''s also the networking and multiplayer section in the articles area of this website. Next time look around and actually try solving it yourself before you post here, and if that''s not what you want you''re going to have to be more specific.

I recently added Network Support to my game.

I think the first thing you should do is read up on Blocking/Non Blocking Sockets. TCP/IP and UDP (in the quake case)

You could even resort to the Quake II Network Code.

Basically, if you use Blocking Sockets, you need to spawn a new thread and worry about thread saftey and synchronization.

If you use non-blocking, you wind up checking to see if you can read/write to a socket with a timer.

Sorry I'm not posting my code. This website had some nice articles though.

[edited by - natasdm on June 8, 2004 8:29:36 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!