• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What resources are there to replace directx??

This topic is 5068 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, so far I'm using directx for all my needs, but i want to do more multiplatform approach to my programming, so what is there thats free to replace: directinput - possibly just mouse eg its movement directsound - something that can play 3d/normal sounds directshow - something that can play mp3s also does anyone know of good resources for these: opengl and winsock. Thanks edit: I'm using c++ [edited by - johnnyBravo on June 8, 2004 9:05:04 PM]

Advertisement
GLFW is cind of the best deeal you will get
It''s cross platform , easy to use, handles Input & OpenGL & Multi threatning .... anyithing that''s not so easy to port on the other OS it''s handled in GLFW (except the networking tough ;( )

You cannot replace DirectX on win32, it is the only way to achieve certain functionality.

Your best bet is to use a wrapper layer which drives DirectX in win32, and something else on other platforms you intend to use.

If you''re using OpenGL, I recommend SDL (NOTE: DirectX is still used to acquire a GL context on win32)

Mark

• Advertisement