Performance?

Started by
4 comments, last by Arrummzen 19 years, 10 months ago
I am writting a 3d rendering engien. I am currently rendering squares (not filled squares but 4 lines). When I try to render 10000 squares I have a very large performance hit. Am I getting good performance or does my engine need more optimizeation? Note that 10000 squares = 40000 Lines. My engine is not made to give as many FPS as possible because other tasks must run side by side with it. I have it shoot for a target FPS and any extra CPU time goes to other tasks. I am currently running at 20 FPS, The app is now using 49% of the CPU, The CPU is a 2.8 GHZ P4 w. HT. The Grahpics card is a Radion 9800, the system memory is 1GB. My question is: Do I need to perform further optimizeation or is this acceptable for most perposes? Thank you for your time, Arrummzen
Advertisement
are you compiling in Debug mode? because if you compile in release you''ll get a much better framerate
No, I am switching to release now.

I want 20 FPS though. Im shooting for less CPU useage not more FPS. Switching from debug to relase improved performance by about 60-70%.

What I was wondering is, is my engine fast enough to start writting a game or do I need to do more work on it. The question is bad, because differnt games need differnt amounts of performance...

Thank you for your time,
Arrummzen
well, is your game gonna be only lines? You''re software rendering right? no DirectX?

if so, are you software rendering for fun?

it all depends on the type of game

Im using DirectX and Direct3d. I wan''t to create a flexable framework for all types of programs, everything from terrean rendering, to gemoetric diagraming to games.

Thank you for your time,
Arrummzen
So I take it that this engine you are creating will wrap up the DirectX so you don''t have to deal with the vertexbuffers and all that other good stuff. Doing this will be costly to performance most of the time. It''d probly be better to not wrap up directX and just deal directly with its interface. That will probly help your frame rate.

And answering your question, you should be able to get a lot more out of that graphics card of yours. I would optimize it more.

I get about 3.4 million polys per second on my 9600 PRO and thats rendering some complicated pixelshaded triangles.

Good Luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement