Z Buffer issues

Started by
2 comments, last by Sr_Guapo 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am currently trying to upgrade from DX8 to managed DX9. I wrote a very small program that loaded a simple sphere (created in Milkshape), and renderened it to the screen, nothing else... Anyway, when I implemented the Z-Buffer:

d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil = True ''// Depth stencil
d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = DepthFormat.D16

I got very strange results (very pixelly looking... its hard to explain). Any way, I then realized I forgot to clear the buffer (hehe...), but when I do that, I get no display... The code to do that is:

D3DDevice.Clear(ClearFlags.Target or ClearFlags.ZBuffer, Color.Black, 0, 0)

I assume I did something wrong, but I don''t know what... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Advertisement
A couple possibly stupid questions.

1. Did you set the zbuffer state to enabled?
2. Did you accidentally move out of the near/far clip plane regions so you see nothing
3. When you say you "enabled" the Z buffer, how did you get the file rendered before. since it was a sphere, did you have no Z values in your Directx 8 version?
4. What about your camera/project/world matrices are you sure they are correct.
5. Is there any errors possibly occuring you aren''t catching(meaning just step through and make sure the rendering works etc).

I have a similar project that loads just a directx mesh and it does work, but I am not much of a real expert to be honest, although if I saw the code I could compare it to mine and tell you what i don''t see.
Clearing the ZBuffer to 0 sets all positions to be closest to the camera. This is the opposite of what you want. Try setting it to 1.0.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
yes... It was a stupid mistake... I just changed this line:

D3DDevice.Clear(ClearFlags.Target or ClearFlags.ZBuffer, Color.Black, 0, 0)

to this:

D3DDevice.Clear(ClearFlags.Target or ClearFlags.ZBuffer, Color.Black, 1.0F, 0)

that is really embarrassing...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement