What I need for C++

Started by
8 comments, last by Sir Sapo 19 years, 10 months ago
OK guys , I was wondering , what do I need to compile a C++ program? Can I just type up some code in notepad , save it as a specific file type, then compile it through the command line like java? Or do I need an IDE or similar program to write it in?
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

good luck.
----Me: So do you know any computer languages?Friend: Ummm....yeah, I used to know l337 talk.Me: ok....
most compilers are command-line. IDE only serve as frontends to the compiler and add a plethora of usefull tough.

On the IDE side, I recommend Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003 if you have a bit of money laying around. Otherwise, you might think about Bloodshed''s Dev-C++, which is free.

If you really want to do command line compiling, you can always download, gcc, mingw, or microsoft''s command line compiler, as you wish.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Thanks Guys
The only computer system i know of that has a ready-to-use C++ compiler on it is the Unix/Linux OS. I''m 80% sure of this. Other than that, you''re not gonna be able to type code into Notepad and just save as a certain file type. Can''t be done. You MUST have a compiler. To you question about command-line compilers, if you want to be hard-core, you can use a command-line compiler, but an IDE (Itegrated Development Environment) makes things much easier if you''re first time programming, which is what it sounds like your doing. And that being the case, don''t waste your money on Microsoft C++ products when you can get a C++ compiler for free, like Dev-C++. When comparing the Dev-C++ comp. with Microsoft''s, Microsofts kicks the crap out of Dev. But you, from what it sounds like, don''t need all the advanced features that MVCC++ like MFC, ActiveX and crap like that. Microsoft is dominant in the compiler business in general, but you can''t beat free. In either case, get yourself Dev, it''s really awesome, and work off of that.
MinGW Studio is another option for a free IDE and if you want to try out .net development Sharp Develop is nice.
quote:Original post by Alex Ruiz
don''t waste your money on Microsoft C++ products when you can get a C++ compiler for free, like Dev-C++.

Dev-C++ is not a compiler, it''s just an IDE. It''s usable, but not really good, unfortunately. It uses a Windows port of the well known GCC compiler, which in turn is very good.
I far prefer MinGW studio (link above) to Dev-C++, it''s still not as good as MS''s Visual Studio IDE but it''s better than Dev-C++. The debugger that''s built into doesn''t work very well however, so I use Insight.
For a all-around generic Windows compiler, use Digital Mars (www.digitalmars.com). For reliable (...) Microsoft stuff, use Microsoft''s Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit (www.microsoft.com, search in Downloads). For a cross-platform compiler, use the GCC, which has a Windows port (MinGW).
- fyhuang [ site ]
Yeah , I have been programming games in Java fora while and I realized , that the only wa to really profit from java is to make a cell phone game(which I really didn''t want to do). So I decided to switch to C++. I downloaded DevC++ and I think it works just fine for my current C++ skill level.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement