how long for you?

Started by
14 comments, last by wezman2k 19 years, 10 months ago
how long did it take for you to be able to look at game code (or pretty much any c++ code) and see exactly what it did (or at least understand what the general concept of the code is) and how to modify it to your liking? for example...eventually i would like to make cheats for counter-strike, and much of it requires using opengl with c++ etc. if i look at the source code to some cheat...i can''t really tell what any of it is. even if i am starting to grasp some of the concepts of c++.
i want to crawl all over her
Advertisement
I''ve been learning C++ for over a year now and I still have a hard time reading other programmer''s code. It''s not so much getting the idea of what the codes intent is but trying to figure out they''re programming style is and deciphering it that gives me headaches. Why can''t everybody write code like me?
It took me 6 months of learning Java in a class, then one month of learning c++ by myself, and with about 45 minutes with the code i understand it enough to change it for my own liking. *devilish laugh* muahaha

[edited by - envy3d on June 8, 2004 11:42:02 PM]
I really hope you never release them. I can understand wanting to program the cheats for the game as they are taboo, and thefore automatically interesting to most people. Though releasing them to the public is completely bogus and screws over a lot of people who just want to have fun. Any experienced programmer could with a weekend or two make a cheat for any game. But those who release them to all the cheaters, assholes, and retards really ruin the games most of spend so much of our life designing, making, and playing.
I study day and night, memorizing the game.
no i dont release them, and i only use them when the people im playing with are my friends and know that im just joking. I am totally against hacking for real because it makes the game not fun anymore.
regarding cheats:

Two years ago I studied a subject called "Computational Mathematics and Physics" at university as electives (my core is Engineering - this was part of Physics though). It is now called "Computater Science" and "Imaging Science".
In it we used things like Khoros (http://www.khoral.com/ on the imaging section (the other sections were mathematics and programming). In that we did alot of image manipulation on data sets and images, writing own code etc and doing simple imaging stuff like complete removal of static/noise and blur to create crystal clear images.

When doing this, I use to be part of one of the top clans over here for Soldier of Fortune 2. I used some screenshots from it as test data for some imaging software. the software recognised human shapes, and also thermal outlines (when using the goggles).
Since it could process the data so fast, I jerry rigged an intelligent aimbot out of it. It would read the video, then analyse it andfrom that it could tell where things were. It was used online a few times where everybody used it, otherwise as far as I know it has never been used out of those controlled situations (kept it for the science side of it to demonstrate the realtime human figure recognition) - but the main thing is that PunkBuster still is unable to even detect it.

No - actually the main thing is that it can analyse images for humans, and as a cheat it isn''t used. Atleast I HOPE no one is using it, because SOF2 rocks. Well did - haven''t played it for ages.

I WOULD play Splinter Cell if UbiSoft didn''t arse up and stop all Australian players from connecting by not giving CDKeys in any boxes over here.
I sure as hell hope someone got reprimanded over that.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
that is one of the coolest methods of cheating ive ever heard of. nice!
Didn''t take me too long to do it.. And there''s much easier ways to learn gamehacking.. All that''s required is minor game programming knowledge and assembly..

http://gamehacking.com
I don''t read C++, i only read English. As such, i comment absolutely *everything*.
I find it depends alot on programming style.

So long as the source code is commented (I typically have atleast a single comment per line of code) I can usually decipher C++ source code within an hour. I mostly re-implement MFC controls I find on CodeGuru, etc...Depending on the author, some code is so poorly written it can take me an entire day.

For example check out this piece of crap.

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/article.php/c2155/

It took me a couple days before I had weeded through all the code and determined what exactly it was doing and then made my changes.

I just really don''t like his style...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement