• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finished my Tetris game !!!!!

This topic is 4969 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
just remove the quotes " at the end of the address and it works

Cool!

I like the nice solid colors, and it doesn''t flicker at all like some other games I''ve played. I like the text color too. The speed seems justs about right. The window size is great for tetris... thanks for not eating up the whole screen.

Now the constructive comments, I don''t know why but when I push down the block moves down quickly and then pauses for a second before "landing" (if that makes any sense). And I couldn''t get it to give me a game over. Maybe it knew I lost but it didn''t say anything because it didn''t want to hurt my feelings.

Yes... Unlike most other games, my games are considerate of others feelings. Even if you are doing very badly and loose horribly, my games will not mock you or give you an ugly message. They just let you figure out that you’re the looser all by your self…..he he he he, lol

I can not figure out why it pauses like that. But I though I would release it or something any ways. I also found that it is not giving the game over like it should be. I think this is because it only checks for blocks in that area once one is clipped or stuck. The problem is, that the blocks are never in that area. So you never loose because it does not put the blocks were they should be.

All these problems will be figured out in the next version. I will also be adding graphics and a little bit of sound. But it will still be a little windows Tetris game with simple graphics. The whole thing is done in Win32 with HBRUSHs. I plan on switching to bitmaps.

What would you rather see:
One solid color or bitmap for blocks?
or
Multiple colors or bitmaps for blocks?

Color would probably be nice, also change the blocks to bitmaps (just simple things) that have that 3d block look to them. Add a background to your game, something snazzy but not distracting (if you want me to whip one up for you in about a min i could do that if you want).

Sure PaulCesar, send it to my email. I''m always interested in seeing someone elses art thanks

I just finished a tetris clone myself so I guess its all fresh in my mind to make comments after all sorts of debugging I''ve recently done on my own.

Well, defintely as another said, you want to fix the momentary freezing before a block goes to rest. Another thing is that even though a block comes down to rest, a short space of time should be allowed for the player to be able to move the piece laterally as this is how its done in the original game. For example if you put the S shaped block down at the bottom, and the you have an L shaped block that you want to squeeze under the gap that the S leaves. With your game this is not happening. I also added a next piece up area on the side that is also a good thing to have and not hard to do. Lastly as another mentioned, using even a simple bitmap for doing the blocks makes it look really good. I was able to do one in paint in about ten seconds despite my lack of art skill. I just made a little 10x10 surface, filled it with a color, and then drew a little square inside it about 2 pixels from the edge. High scores list is another good, but not exactly crucial feature. If you want to look at my version to get ideas just ask.

One thing that mine does differently is in rotation of some blocks. Yours seems to adhere to the classical tetris way which is good.

Ok, i just sent you an e-mail sakky. My e-mails tend to get picked up by spam checkers, so I would check it as soon as you can. Thanks

Richard.

[edited by - paulcesar on June 9, 2004 5:02:53 PM]

quote:

Ok, i just sent you an e-mail sakky. My e-mails tend to get picked up by spam checkers, so I would check it as soon as you can. Thanks

Richard.

I''m downloading it right now. Thanks dude :D

quote:

I just finished a tetris clone myself so I guess its all fresh in my mind to make comments after all sorts of debugging I''ve recently done on my own.

Well, defintely as another said, you want to fix the momentary freezing before a block goes to rest. Another thing is that even though a block comes down to rest, a short space of time should be allowed for the player to be able to move the piece laterally as this is how its done in the original game. For example if you put the S shaped block down at the bottom, and the you have an L shaped block that you want to squeeze under the gap that the S leaves. With your game this is not happening. I also added a next piece up area on the side that is also a good thing to have and not hard to do. Lastly as another mentioned, using even a simple bitmap for doing the blocks makes it look really good. I was able to do one in paint in about ten seconds despite my lack of art skill. I just made a little 10x10 surface, filled it with a color, and then drew a little square inside it about 2 pixels from the edge. High scores list is another good, but not exactly crucial feature. If you want to look at my version to get ideas just ask.

One thing that mine does differently is in rotation of some blocks. Yours seems to adhere to the classical tetris way which is good.

I''ll take all that into mind, as I did want things to work and look that way. But I just slapped something together for the first version. I wanted a game that can be played. Even if it looks loke crap and runs a little funny.

Well, I re-programmed some off it. I also added the new background PaulCesar gave me. here is a picture of what it looks like now

The link is still the same

[edited by - sakky on June 9, 2004 10:22:12 PM]

Hey,

I see you actualy made use of it (If you a fan of jap. animation and are planning on continuing this project i could do something REAL nice ), doesent look as bad on it as i thought. I think the biggest problem I had with it this time around was the fact that pressing down caused it to land instantly instead of speed up. Instead of making it land, just make it a multiplier for your downword momentum. Also, judging where you are going to land is hard because there is no division of any kind between the blocks. Multicolor/Bitmap would be nice, but all I think I really want to see is some sort of division (maybe make the block a pixel smaller then the rectangle, that way you get a division automaticaly...

Just a thought,
Richard Cesar

Good game, I''m just now learning C++ so I can offer no comments, but I do Have a question. About how ong did it take you to accomplish this from day 1 learning?

Nice tetris game. I also recently created a tetris clone. The game logic for tetris is pretty complex. Mine also doesn''t have the logic for game over either. For me the rendering was the easiest part, it''s the game logic that''s hard: finding rows, making blocks stop falling at the right time, preventing the user from rotating or moving if it causes a collision, etc.

Screenshots of my game are at:

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~markws/vsm/AX.html

I opened a thread on mine before, but here it is again:

NBlocks v1.0.3 (updated)

It was made with only C++ and the win32 GDI. Took about 3 weeks on and off working on it.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to mention that if you do download my game, you'll need WinME, Windows2000 or WinXP, because I use a blitting method that is buggy under win98 due to poor implementation of TransparentBlt() by Microsoft causing memory leaks.

[edited by - nervo on June 12, 2004 6:23:14 AM]

• Advertisement