I finished my Tetris game !!!!!

Started by
15 comments, last by sakky 19 years, 10 months ago
Ok, i just sent you an e-mail sakky. My e-mails tend to get picked up by spam checkers, so I would check it as soon as you can. Thanks

Richard.

[edited by - paulcesar on June 9, 2004 5:02:53 PM]
Advertisement
quote:
Ok, i just sent you an e-mail sakky. My e-mails tend to get picked up by spam checkers, so I would check it as soon as you can. Thanks

Richard.

I''m downloading it right now. Thanks dude :D

quote:
I just finished a tetris clone myself so I guess its all fresh in my mind to make comments after all sorts of debugging I''ve recently done on my own.

Well, defintely as another said, you want to fix the momentary freezing before a block goes to rest. Another thing is that even though a block comes down to rest, a short space of time should be allowed for the player to be able to move the piece laterally as this is how its done in the original game. For example if you put the S shaped block down at the bottom, and the you have an L shaped block that you want to squeeze under the gap that the S leaves. With your game this is not happening. I also added a next piece up area on the side that is also a good thing to have and not hard to do. Lastly as another mentioned, using even a simple bitmap for doing the blocks makes it look really good. I was able to do one in paint in about ten seconds despite my lack of art skill. I just made a little 10x10 surface, filled it with a color, and then drew a little square inside it about 2 pixels from the edge. High scores list is another good, but not exactly crucial feature. If you want to look at my version to get ideas just ask.

One thing that mine does differently is in rotation of some blocks. Yours seems to adhere to the classical tetris way which is good.

I''ll take all that into mind, as I did want things to work and look that way. But I just slapped something together for the first version. I wanted a game that can be played. Even if it looks loke crap and runs a little funny.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Well, I re-programmed some off it. I also added the new background PaulCesar gave me. here is a picture of what it looks like now

The link is still the same

[edited by - sakky on June 9, 2004 10:22:12 PM]
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Hey,

I see you actualy made use of it (If you a fan of jap. animation and are planning on continuing this project i could do something REAL nice ), doesent look as bad on it as i thought. I think the biggest problem I had with it this time around was the fact that pressing down caused it to land instantly instead of speed up. Instead of making it land, just make it a multiplier for your downword momentum. Also, judging where you are going to land is hard because there is no division of any kind between the blocks. Multicolor/Bitmap would be nice, but all I think I really want to see is some sort of division (maybe make the block a pixel smaller then the rectangle, that way you get a division automaticaly...

Just a thought,
Richard Cesar
Good game, I''m just now learning C++ so I can offer no comments, but I do Have a question. About how ong did it take you to accomplish this from day 1 learning?
Nice tetris game. I also recently created a tetris clone. The game logic for tetris is pretty complex. Mine also doesn''t have the logic for game over either. For me the rendering was the easiest part, it''s the game logic that''s hard: finding rows, making blocks stop falling at the right time, preventing the user from rotating or moving if it causes a collision, etc.

Screenshots of my game are at:

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~markws/vsm/AX.html
I opened a thread on mine before, but here it is again:

NBlocks v1.0.3 (updated)

It was made with only C++ and the win32 GDI. Took about 3 weeks on and off working on it.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to mention that if you do download my game, you'll need WinME, Windows2000 or WinXP, because I use a blitting method that is buggy under win98 due to poor implementation of TransparentBlt() by Microsoft causing memory leaks.

[edited by - nervo on June 12, 2004 6:23:14 AM]
Well, R2D22U2..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement