• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

visual studio .net 2003

This topic is 4972 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have both vs .net 2003 and visual C++ 6.0...and i was wondering if i should use .net for learning c++? the reason i ask is because when i create a new solution in .net, just a blank one..it still adds header files etc. that i don't want. at least i think i don't want... it doesn't just give me a black workspace like in 6.0. do these files have some sort of signifigance? or is there a way to create a solution without adding these files? by the way, what is the difference between "building" and compiling [edited by - wezman2k on June 9, 2004 2:52:24 AM]

Advertisement
When you create a new solution, if you go in ''advanced'' or something like that specifie to have a blank project.

- Iliak -

Yes, .net is better to learn in, since it is more standards compliant. You can create a project without any files in it, just hit new project|win32 application then name it and when the new project dialog comes up, click the console application radio button and the empty project checkbox.

File -> New -> Project -> Win32 -> Win32 Console Project -> Open -> Aplication Settings -> Empty Project

that should help just follwo that and you will get a blank project with a cpp file. You can then add anything you want to it.

how can i execute my project without having it close right away? is there a way to do it within .net instead of putting it in my c:\ folder and executing it from the command prompt?

I''d use std::system("pause"); before return 0; in main.

this will also work. will wait for you hit return before moving on.

char stop = '' '';
cin >> stop;

quote:
Original post by wezman2k
by the way, what is the difference between "building" and compiling

Compiling is to generate binary object files (.obj) from source files. Linking is to combine your object files (and library object files) into an executable. Building = compiling + linking.

Is there a way to let visual studio automaticly create an empty project by default?

• Advertisement