Facial customization and lip synching

Started by
1 comment, last by Raeldor 19 years, 10 months ago
I understand that lip synching can be done by having various versions of your head model in different speech poses and morphing between them. I am not sure however, how facial customization (eye distance, nose size, etc.) is done. Also, how do I combine the two techniques together so I can lip-sync with a facially customized character? Regards Rael
Advertisement
I believe you can do the whole thing with morph targets.

Say you''ve got a model of a nose, and two parameters for it, "flared-ness" and "pointyness". Each parameter can range from -1 to 1; by default they''re at 0. That''s your ''control'' position.

For each parameter, you''d have a mesh at each end of the scale (a ''morph target''). The pointyness one for instance - at pointyness = 0, you''d have a very rounded nose mesh stored. Wheras at pointyness = 1, you''d have a very pointy nose mesh stored. Each mesh would have the exact same topology as the control mesh - all you''re doing is moving vertices.

So, you can interpolate (''morph'') between meshes depending on your parameter. The result is, for each parameter, a set of positions a specific group of vertices - the ones that make up the nose, or the eyes, or the legs, or whatever.

Then, I guess you''d do something like average all the positions supplied for a vertex by different parameters. Possibly a weighted average, so that the pointyness of a nose has more influence on the result than the flared-ness.

I''m not sure, though. This is just based on what I''ve played around with in Softimage.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Cool, I am just reading up on morphing animation in Jim Adams book and it seems like a pretty good solution. I will experiment with some code I think and see what comes out. Maybe post on this board if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your advice.

Rael

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement